Praying for More...

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"There is no way to learn of faith except through trials. They are God's school of faith, and it is much better for us to learn to trust Him than to live a life of enjoyment. And once the lesson of faith has been learned, it is an everlasting possession and an eternal fortune gained. Yet without trust in God, even great riches will leave us in poverty."

Faith. That is what I'm learning. God has worked in my life so much this last year. This is going to be a very personal post, but one that I feel God wants me to share. Russ and I began trying for a baby in May of 2006. We did not share our decision with anyone. Still, almost three years later, only a handful of people know. In the last year and a half I have had surgery, began seeing an infertility specialist, taking meds, been tested, poked, and prodded, and been through five aggressive additional treatments. So far, all has been unsuccessful. In February, we were thrilled to see a positive test...only to find out five days later that I had apparently had a "biochemical pregnancy" (something tried to happen, but failed) and an early miscarriage.

During the last year and a half of actually seeing a specialist and getting help from "modern science," I had become extremely discouraged. I went from hope when we first saw Dr. Hines, to disappointment when the meds didn't work, to depression when the next five treatments failed. All of these feelings are universal, I'm sure, for those who have plans for their life that happen to be different from God's. If I were completely honest, I would have to say that for a while I was bitter - almost angry - with God. I just didn't understand why He would not grant me the one thing I've wanted all my life! What had I done to make God want to punish me so? Being the stubborn person that I am, it took a year and a half of these feelings for me to FINALLY come back to the only One who can give me hope again. The only One who sacrificed His very own son to cleanse me of my sins. The only One who knows the number of hairs on my head and understands my pain. You may remember my earlier post about Becoming a Woman of Prayer. This was the beginning of me giving it completely over to God. Yes, I'd like to think I had done that before. But, I had not. As I got on my knees for those 28 days of February, I was giving it to Him and praying with persistence for Him to grant me this request.

After this last month, it was almost like God was saying, "You're doing better. But, I want more." Through a new commitment to my quiet time with Him and reading His Word more, I am understanding more and more the importance of faith. I am comforted by His Word, and I am comfortable laying it all at His feet. Don't get me wrong. I'm still completely heartbroken each time I discover that it's "not time yet." But I know in my heart that His plan is perfect and SO much more than I could ever imagine. Faith the size of a mustard seed can move mountains.

I gotta have faith!

So, for now....

We are Johnson Party of Two

...praying for more!

Please keep us in your prayers as we continue on this journey God has set before us. Pray that we cling to one another for comfort and enjoy the time we have with just the two of us. Pray for our patience and understanding as the emotions of the journey take over. And, most of all, please pray that we continue to have faith that God hears our prayers, and he will give us what we ask if we pray according to His will.

“And this is the confidence that we have toward Him,
that if we ask anything according to His will He hears us.
And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask,
we know that we have the requests that we have asked of Him.” 1 John 5:14-15

I can't wait to see what God's plan is for our lives!

"God is able to do immeasurably more than we could ever ask or imagine." Eph. 3:20

30 comments:

Lynn said...

Megan, what a beautiful post! Thanks so much for sharing your heart! You and Russ have been and will continue to be in my prayers. Even though we have only met in person a few times, I feel like I know you so well. I guess because Roan talks about you so much and reading your blog! Keep your head up and keep having the faith! God is faithful! much love, lynn

Jordan said...

Hey Megan! Thanks so much for this post! It was truely beautiful! I am sorry to hear you are having trouble. If it is the Lord's will it will happen. We just need to remember that it is on his time not our own. I will keep you in my prayers! When Roy and I got married I wanted kids so bad. I began to get a little impatient. Through many prayers and faith the Lord has blessed us with 3 wonderful children. I just know your time will come and you will be an amazing mother!

Kristin and Lee said...

love you pookie

Rossie said...

Wow Megan, this post was amazing. It's so candid and real. God using you (and your blog) to speak to so many other people who are going through the same thing but probably lack the faith that you so evidently have! I can't wait to see how God uses you and Russ!

PS- the new Blog design definitely looks amazing.

Aaron and Kelly said...

Roommie,

You are the true definition of beautiful and I have so much respect for you and that husband of yours. God doesn't leave any prayers unanswered, and I am confident that every single person that reads your post will be praying hard for you and Russ. Maybe that's why you felt compelled to share? You are such a strong woman of God and I am blessed to always be your roommie.

Love you!!

Abby said...

hey megan!

we've never met, but i discovered that we have a mutual friend in jamie whitley! we both grew up in the same town and i'm best friends with one of her best friend's sisters...

anyway, i have been following your blog and will continue to pray for you. Your challenge for the 28 days of prayer definitely helped me through a very difficult time last month and God has continued to help me be a stronger person.

check out my blog whenever you get a chance. http://www.aed214.blogspot.com

you and russ are in my thoughts and prayers!!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, I came across it one day and have loved it since. I will be praying for you daily as you lean on Him for the sweet blessings of a baby!

Katie Walden said...

Thanks for sharing! I will be praying for you guys!

Charlie and Jamie Smith said...

For 28 days I will pray for YOU!! - consistently!!! love love love you and Russ

Dennis said...

What an incredible young couple! I love you both! Daddy

Anonymous said...

We (Josh and I) experienced a miscarriage almost a year ago. While it was one of the most devastating times in my life... I had to look at it as it just wasn't our turn. But when it is, what a great day that will be... until then I pray His will be done.
You and Russ are in my prayers!
Thanks for the ST Advice- I'll have to start closing my eyes!!
It's only been one day and I think I am already on the verge of a nervous breakdown!!!

The Robbins said...

We love you both hun! I know that GOD is working in your life by providing you strength, faith, and an unbelieveable sense of freedom to speak about something so near and dear to your heart! Thank you for reaching out to all of the people who struggle with this everyday. You WILL be an AMAZING set of parents when GOD plants that beautiful little baby in your womb...soon and very soon! We are praying for you guys everyday...ALWAYS know that! We truly appreciate you guys and the awesome friendship we have!

Love, Pat and Fe

Liesa said...

HI MEGAN. LOVE YOUR NEW HEADER AND BACKGROUND.
AND JUST KNOW THAT GOD IS FAITHFUL AND TRUE. YOU HANG IN THERE. KEEP SERVING HIM. HAVE YOU SEEN 'FACING THE GIANTS' MOVIE?
SOMETIMES GOD JUST WANTS TO SEE IF WE'LL SERVE HIM EVEN IF.... WHAT WE DESIRE NEVER HAPPENS. WE'RE GOING THROUGH SOME OF THAT RIGHT NOW. AS YOU READ IN MY POST, I'VE HAD A CHECK UP AND I SEE THAT EVEN THOUGH CIRCUMSTANCE MAY NOT BE WHAT I WANT... GOD IS STILL WORTHY AND DOES ALL THINGS WELL, AND HE PROMISES TO ALWAYS BE WITH US AND THAT HE'LL NEVER FORSAKE US. ISN'T THAT COMFORTING? I WILL PRAY FOR YOU AND RUSS THAT GODS WILL BE DONE AND THAT HE WILL BE GLORIFIED IN YOUR LIVES. DON'T EVER GIVE UP. GOD IS IN THE MIRACLE BUSINESS!
LOVE,
LIESA
slnc4g@nexband.com

Amanda said...

I stumbled upon your blog and just wanted to let you know that I will pray for you and your family!

Anonymous said...

You and Russ are in my prayers. Three of my coworkers are going through this same thing. It is kind of amazing how common it actually is! But one of our coworkers have been trying for 4 years and has done everything you have as well. We currently she is about 4 weeks to go having triplets!!! God is amazing! Keep the faith!!!

katie ray said...

megan,thanks for sharing. i am so sorry that you are having such a hard time, and i will keep you in my prayers! my favorite verse is-

For i know the plans i have for you,they are plans for good and not disaster, to give you future and to give you hope.
Jeremiah 29:11

love,
katie

Anonymous said...

Megan,
I will praying that God reveals his perfect timing for you and Russ. I have faith that you will be a mother one day, just keep your eyes on "him" and he will reveal his plans for you. Thanks for sharing your struggles so that we can pray for you and I am sure you have touched many women out there that are going through the same struggles. I have many friends that have gone through this as well and by having faith and patience, God has blessed them with children. I believe he will do the same for you.
By the way, I love your classroom blog too! You look like you really enjoy your job and are a great teacher!
I am proud of you!
Your childhood babysitter, :)
Shannon

Amanda said...

Hey Megan! Your blog is great, and I love your new background! Just wanted to say that I completely understand what you and Russ are going through! I have walked in your shoes! For us, infertility has been one of the greatest blessings God has ever given us! We too, tried for several years to have a baby, but that was not his plan for us. During the long months of waitng for a "positive", I thought I would loose my mind, and I too was angry with God. There is nothing I wanted more in this world than to have children. We had a miscarriage at 6 weeks, and tried for 2 years to become pregnant again. We prayed many prayers, but were not listening to God. He was answering us, but not in the way we knew he would. God will answer you and provide EVERYTING you need, just in his own timing!

We have been so blessed and are so thankful for the way God has grown our family. Having experienced adoption and then pregnancy/childbirth, I can tell you they are both equally wonderful and absolutely amazing! Keep your faith strong, and depend on our Lord for strength. His timing is perfect! I will pray for you, and God's will for you, Russ, and your future children! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Dear Sweet Megan,
We stay so busy in our own worlds sometimes that we fail to notice all that is going on around us. I have read your blog today and have laughed to the point of ....let's leave it at that over your mother's "potty dilema" and then to come home this afternoon and read this sweet,honest and precious story of this struggle in your life. (Well, then I have cried my heart out for you and the other one in our midst daily who is going through the same thing!) I cannot believe that I work with you daily and have had no idea that anything like this was going on in your life. You are such a soldier for the Lord and this is one person who just loves you as if you were my own daughter. After visiting your house last night....I just felt God's spirit and love in that house. I pledge to you, sweet girl and to Russ, a consistent prayer that God will continue to strengthen you when you need strength, give you peace when you need peace, put his arms around you when you need comfort, and guide you when you need guidance. I pray that you can relax, enjoy each moment with Russ and depend on God to do the rest...He will....Jeremiah 29. HE knows the plans that HE has for us....He is going to bless you. This is one teacher who has learned so much about God from reading the book (your life) that you put before me each day. GOD bless you, and please know that I will be lifting you up daily.

Unknown said...

You don't know me, but my kids run with Roan's kids in the Spartans. We also tried for several years to have kids. I got pregnant 3 times and miscarried each - one at 10 weeks, one at 12 weeks, and one at 3 weeks. In between pregnancies, it took many months to get pregnant again. I actually did not pursue any treatment until after the third miscarriage. The first we thought was just something that happens to women, the second one we thought well maybe it won't happen again and also doctors don't really do much until you miscarry two or three. The third one happened while we were searching for the right doctor. A friend recommended the doctors at UT in Memphis. They have one half of the group that specializes in infertility and the other half that specializes in miscarriages. I don't know if it is harder to not get pregnant at all or to get pregnant and miscarry time after time. I finally had surgery to correct my problem and now we have two beautiful children who are 11 and 9. I will be praying for you.

Laura at By the Bushel said...

Praying right now for you- just reading makes me remember the endless showers(for people I loved), comments folks made(thinking they were imparting needed wisdom), seeing people with kids (they didn't seem to want),--- we struggled a while too, and weren't young when we started! I wish and pray for you (and your husband)only the best, comfort for today, and a renewed spirit every morning.

Lauren said...

Hello there! I just found your blog as I was surfing through "blog land." I just wanted to say thank you for sharing this and that I will pray for you. I have a similar story - my husband and I were married the summer of 2005 and began "trying" right away. I've had 2 miscarriages and all the testing. It's a hard road to travel, but God has a reason for everything. I used to ask - "why is God doing this to me?" but now I think "God is doing this FOR me." He has plans for my spiritual growth and understanding of Him that never would have happened if life went exactly as I wanted. I know it is the same for you. If you want to read more about how God has worked in my life through this experience you can visit my blog and on the right sidebar it has a link to read about my journey with infertility.

laurenalexis1.blogspot.com

Be blessed!

Two Shades of Pink said...

Megan,
I just stumbled across your blog and I am so blessed by your story. I began blogging myself just to encourage other women about this infertility journey that so many of us travel. I have to say it is the most painful time of my life and I can't look back on it without feeling all those emotions keenly. I wrote my infertility story that took 8 posts to complete as we ended up adopting our oldest daughter and conceiving our youngest. I just want you to know how much I wished (still wish) I had your perspective. Even in remembering it, I struggle with an attitude that does not glorify God. So know I am so happy to pray with your for your heart's desire.

Lesli said...

I will definitely keep your in my prayers. I am sure God will answer your prayers, he does have a plan for you! I went through some infertility issues as well for a couple of years and finally God blessed us with our little angel! Five months later he blessed us with another one..lol!! So yes keep the faith and continue to lean on "him". I would love to keep up with your story and read more of your blog, so I am a follower now! Have a great weekend!

Summer said...

Hi Megan,
Thanks for sharing your story! I to suffered from infertility form 2 1/2 years and after 2 miscarriages and several surgeries I have a healthy happy 3 year old little girl named Kelcee! Hang in there sweetie! You are in my prayers! God has a plan for us even if we don't know what it is yet....

Summer

Lesli Westfall said...

Hi, so sorry that you have been through so much. I found your blog from Kelly's Korner. I can relate to the feelings you have gone through. I'd like to share my website with you, encouraging those struggling to have a family.

Dancing Upon Barren Land ~ Spiritual Nourishent for the Infertility Road, www.dancinguponbarrenland.com. Hope it will be a blessing to you as you wait!

The Lord bless you,
Lesli Westfall

Alphabet Soup Momma said...

I will be praying for you and your husband. I know it is a lonely journey and just plain tough. My husband and I have been on the same walk of faith since August 2007. We are still waiting on our miracle.

The Pifer's said...

Faith is what keeps me going! Thanks for sharing your story!!!

Infertility is such a hard journey, it has it's up and it's downs...it's a path that God only trust with certain people...

I'm praying for you through this journey. My husband and I have also been TTC (4 years next month), infertility is a huge part of our lives, it does not define us, but it's def. changed us for the better!

Please know your in my thoughts and prayers and I am an email away if you need to talk.

www.thepiferfamily.blogspot.com

Beth Forbus said...

Hi Megan,

Found your blog on Kelly’s Korner. Thanks for sharing your story. There’s no doubt infertility is so very hard, but God knows just what you need and He will bring you through this. Just hold on!

I wanted to let you know about Sarah’s Laughter, the ministry God gave me through my own struggle with infertility. We’d love to encourage you as you continue on your journey, and offer you our support however we can. Our Daily Double Portions are encouraging devotions we send every day to build you up and uplift you as you face the daily struggle of infertility. If there’s anything Sarah’s Laughter can do for you, please don’t hesitate to let us know. We care about you and your journey. www.sarahs-laughter.com

Kara said...

Just found your blog on Kelly's Korner. Wow. Reading your post was liking reading my story about 5 years back. My hubby and I started trying to get pregnant in Dec of 2001 and went through 2 surgeries, IUI and every test you can think of. I was depressed and heartbroken to say the least. My journey was hard, but boy did I grow. I have been blessed with 2 children now through the gift of adoption and they are truly a picture to me of God's BEST for my life and what Eph 3:20 means to me. Praying for you today. I empathize with all your emotions. God knows them too. Hang on to see what He has in store. It will be good. :-)