Our Quarantine

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

"...When this ends, may we find that we have become more like the people we wanted to be, we were called to be, we hoped to be and may we stay that way - better for each other because of the worst." - Laura Kelly Fanucci


(It has been nearly 3 years since I have written anything here.  How did that happen!?  I loved this space.  I loved having these memories written out in words and in pictures.  I just recently went through and prepared EIGHT blog books for printing.  That's how far behind I was!)

On March 14, 2020...our family began our official quarantine.  The country - well, the whole world - is in the middle of a pandemic.  COVID-19.  Coronavirus.  Corona.  "The Rona." It goes by many nicknames these days.  It has been a scary time for many.  At best, a strange time for everyone.  Schools have closed (the kids never went back after Spring Break), businesses have shut down or gone to curbside and delivery only, churches have closed their doors (it is all online), and social gatherings have stopped.  We do dance and piano classes on Zoom, and we do distance learning on Google Classroom.  I still keep up with my Bible study girls on Zoom each week.  My Marco Polo app stays hot.  Thank goodness for technology!

Everything has changed.

And I decided it was time to pick this back up and start getting my thoughts and our new normal down "on paper" - or on the blog.  So I am going to attempt to cover some of our new normal here. 

I am an introvert at heart.  I can fake it til I make it in a crowd.  I do love to host parties and fun events at my home.  But my very happy place is with a small group of close friends and/or family.  Quality time is my love language.  Not in the busy-ness of life.  Real quality time.  Some may even say I was born to quarantine.  I admit that I panicked at first.  Then I had fun with it.  Then I had some rough days.  Then I found a groove that works for us.  Not every day is great, but every day has some moments.  And I don't hate it.



Don't get me wrong, I hate what this pandemic is doing to people's health and finances.  I hate the fear it has put into the hearts of so many.  I hate watching the news if I'm completely honest.

But there are some things I don't hate.  I don't hate the precious time we spend as a family on Sunday mornings worshiping at home.  I don't hate having a clear schedule with no obligations and no decisions to be made.  I don't hate spending this extra time at home as a family.  There will never be another time in history where we will get so much extra time with those we love most.  I am not attentive all the time.  I spend too much time on my phone and I don't always jump up to play soccer or push someone on the saucer swing when I'm asked.  But I do find myself looking into their eyes more.  Staring longer.  Even tearing up from time to time watching them just be kids.  My heart is full right now.



My kids miss their friends.  I miss my friends.  And I'll go ahead and put it out there - I have had a cocktail hour with my best girl friends 6 feet apart on my back porch.  Russ insisted during one of my hard nights, and I started texting them immediately!  As I type this, Russ is having a guy night on the back patio as well.  We had one little social distance family gathering right before Easter.  It was much needed.  It gave me enough fuel for a little while.  We have seen some of the kids' little friends from a distance during our little birthday parades that have become a normal thing these days. Just enough face time with everyone to get us through.



We had Easter as a family of four.  It was a simple and sweet time.  Nothing spectacular.  I cooked my first Easter lunch for my family and tried to make it taste like my mom's.  I burned the roast.  But other than that, it was a delicious home cooked Sunday meal.  The weather was bad all day.  We had our tornado safe place prepped and ready.  Thankfully, we didn't have to use it.  The Easter Bunny did find the kids.  And I bet he wore his face mask and gloves as he hopped from house to house. 

It's a strange time for sure.

But what am I doing with this gift of time I have been given?

How will my kids remember this time 10 years from now?

That is what goes through my mind every day.  It doesn't mean I have mastered this quarantine.  Not by a long shot.  But I do acknowledge it as a gift in many ways.



And on the many days I fail...I am so glad His mercies are new every morning!

No comments: