This year the Egg Bowl was returned to it's rightful place - Thanksgiving Day. It was a freezing cold day, but that can't stop this girl and her crazy family. My sister-in-law asked if we were going to the game, and I replied, "Yep. Look for us on TV. We'll be the looney toons with a 16 month old."
My dad and brother were already busy setting up the tents when we arrived. They were putting up some walls to block the cold wind for Millie Janalee. This was her first time wearing gloves and multiple layers. I hated to pull out the snowsuit before the game, so we went with a heavy coat, leggings, fleece pants, boots, two shirts, and a of course her cheer top. She seriously sat in one spot without moving for an hour. She's not a fan of big layers. She wouldn't talk or smile. She just sat there...and whined occasionally.
Next thing I know, the boys are off to the car filled with heaters and propane (I think that's what it was). Walmart made a pretty penny as this family prepared for the cold. Nothing can stop us from enjoying our gameday! Ha!
By the time my dad and the rest of the boys finished, we had our own little heated "den" and Millie Janalee was able to take her coat off. Boy, did she come alive! Dancing, singing, squealing, playing, reading books, and more!
Dustin, Lee, Russ, Daddy, and I played some corn hole to pass the time. I never won. Just so you know.
Kristin worked on nice decorations for our Thanksgiving lunch...including that fantastic Egg Bowl centerpiece! My mom had our meal catered by the on campus catering service. It was like a real Thanksgiving lunch outside: dressing, turkey, macaroni and cheese, veggies, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, green beans, pies, cakes, and more! It was delicious! Of course, we loved sharing a meal with all the family and friends! That's always the best part.
When game time came around, I've gotta admit...I had some anxiety. Like couldn't catch my breath nerves. I couldn't figure out why I was having these "episodes", but I'm almost positive it was nerves about the game. Here's the thing about the Egg Bowl: No matter what kind of season you have had, you NEVER KNOW who will win this game.
Everyone began taking tents down, packing cars, and adding layers. And layers. And layers. Millie Janalee was our little marshmallow baby! And the cutest marshmallow baby I'd ever seen. She started running toward Uncie Bucket and fell flat on her face like the kid in Christmas Story.
Russ and I overprepared for this game. Whatever we might need, so that we wouldn't have to leave the game early. Ski bibs, a puffy coat. long johns, headgear, gloves, hand and toe warmers, boots, scarves etc. By the time we got into the stadium, I was sweating! You should know that I never put my coat on!
The game was not pretty on either side. But, man, was it exciting! It came down to overtime and the last play. I don't need to replay it, but we forced a fumble as Ole Miss's QB was running into the end zone...winning the game! After that it was pandemonium in the stands. Some say luck? Whatever! That was a great play! I've seen the replays (and some of the controversial after play ones too), and I still get excited every time. Then I feel sorry for Wallace for a little while. But, that's just the game. It happens. It just wasn't his day. We've had plenty of "not our days" too.
But the Egg Bowl 2013...it was our day.
You see, this game determined our eligibility for a bowl game. Four years in a row, we're going bowling!
The crowd stayed around for a while after the game. We cheered the team as they ran around the sidelines with the Golden Egg. We sang the alma mater. We rang our cowbells. We cheered some more. We even watched on the Jumbotron as the coach gave his post-game pep talk to the guys inside the locker room (or whatever that building is called).
It was a great day to be a Bulldog!
We won the day! 365 days of bragging rights are ours.




2 comments:
I so want to be a part of your family! Or at least your tailgating crew!
What a game! I was super worried too but they kept pointing out how Wallace does not play well in cold weather! I think I almost had a heart attack, which is fairly normal for MSU football, or any MSU event!
If the bowl game is in Bham... we MUST meet up!!! Sadly we won't be able to attend because we have our child birth class on the 4th, but I WILL make time to meet y'all somewhere!!! And my mom has never watched a game with Terry in the room. I think she laughed more at him and his movements and speeches more than anything else this year. HA!
Post a Comment