Thursday's Third Grade Thoughts

Thursday, November 13, 2008

It's been a while since I've updated you on funny things my students have said. However, I had a couple this week that reminded me how fun my job really CAN be. Notice I said "CAN." Ha! Anyone in the education field will understand the statement.

Wednesday morning, we were standing in line for the restroom in the hallway. Sherrina, one of my most outgoing and TALKATIVE students, waves her hand at me...basically in my face. She is just dying to tell me something. You may remember Sherrina from an earlier post. Her mom is the one who told her she would not be at school for a while because she was going to boot camp. There never was a plan to send her to boot camp! Click here to see that story! I digress...so I finally call on Sherrina to pacify her excitement. She was smiling and holding back laughter the whole time. "Mrs. Joh'son, my mama compared me to a simile this mo'ning! She said my hair looked like a willow tree!" Of course, the first thing I thought was, "It sure does!" But, I just smiled, with a slight giggle I couldn't hold back, and said, "Good job! I'm so glad your remembered what a simile is!" So, I decided to take her picture so that you can see the "willow tree" hairdo.

Sherrina's willow tree - Notice the "drooping" motion of the ponytails.


My next funny comes from Alric. Today we were working on Thanksgiving writing projects. We created bubble maps for the things we were thankful for. Then, I had the students come up with a reason WHY they were thankful for that thing. This was written out beside the bubbles. But, the students could not write "because." They had to make a completely different sentence explaining why without saying "because it is fun," for example. Then, the student wrote their two-sentence thankful sentences on feathers. We made turkeys with a paper plate and feathers. Anyway! I called on some students to share some of the things they were thankful for. When Alric's turn came around, he read what he was thankful for. "I am thankful for my mom cause she loves me no matter what." I informed Alric that he could not use the word "because." He replied, "I didn't." Curious, I asked, "What did you say?" He said, "I said 'CAUSE'!"

Oh...the mind of a child must be such a fun place to be!!!

post signature

3 comments:

Dennis said...

It is!

Kirk Family said...

Love my Alric!

Kirk Family said...

And Sherrina... I had her too. She's one FUNNY girl.