Show Us Your Life - PETS

Friday, November 20, 2009

I'm pretty sure you know that we have a dog named Farley. Farley is no doubt our baby. Russ and I were married just before Russ started his first year of medical school. It didn't take long for me to realize that I needed a friend at home while Russ spent all those hours in the library. After much MUCH begging and researching, I finally convinced him to give in. I had searched and searched for a Maltipoo. I just thought they were cute (from the pictures I found online! ha!). Anyway, I finally found some for sale near our hometown. I called the lady around 8:30 that night to ask about them. She only had one black puppy left. It didn't take long...approximately 45 minutes....for us to pack, buy doggie toys, and hit the road for a four hour drive! Crazy youngsters, I know! Ha! No one even knew we were coming. We broke into my parents' house, spent the night, and headed to Henderson, TN before anyone woke up. By the time everyone woke up, we were back with our little black ball of fur!

Farley is certainly treated like a human...which is probably why he THINKS he is one! I can honestly say that he is S-P-O-I-L-E-D!! Farley is known as the "grandpuppy." I'm pretty sure my parents are more excited to see Farley sometimes than me. Ha!

Farley meeting Granmomma for the first time

This is probably where Farley would be content to live!

Farley and my daddy are two peas in a pod. He is truly treated as a "grandpuppy" at the Smith house. Russ always says, "When we stay at your parents' house, Farley is YOUR DAD's dog. Not mine!" Ha! Farley also has an aunt who helps with the spoiled part. Does your dog receive gourmet Easter, Halloween, and Christmas treats? Mine does! Thanks to Aunt Kristin! You should also know that Kristin can not touch Farley or her eyes would turn inside out (literally) from allergies!

Farley's gourmet happy meal from Aunt Kristin

No matter how much his grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins baby him...he is MY baby! I have literally treated him as such! From wrapping him in a baby blanket to letting him sleep between Russ and me. I've heard it said, "Your children are going to be awful!" Ha! This usually comes after I take up for Farley for something he did. It's just not his fault! Someone else was bothering him. Hence, the spoiled part! We have received a "handling" fee for Farley's behavior at the groomer. I, of course, am sure that they aren't being sweet enough to him, so he is fighting back. Do I sound like "that mother?" Ha! Don't answer that! I'm the mommy and I can think my baby is perfect if I want to!

Farley and his mommy

Without sounding too weird about my dog, Farley really has been a blessing. There's just nothing like man's best friend! Farley knows when we're mad, and he licks my face when I cry. He has kept me company and kept me laughing. Of course, he has driven me crazy in between all that! But, I wouldn't change a thing! He's part of our family.

The Johnson family


Tell me about your pet. Link on up to Kelly's Korner!

post signature

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We used to have a cat that sounds alot like your dog. He was our baby and helped me through the emotional time of my miscarriages. When I would cry, he would pat me on the face with his paw. He died two months before our first child was born and it was gut wrenching, but I am glad that we had him while we did. My husband worked nights alot and the cat was a great companion during these times. I have not ever been so attached to an animal before and I know it had to do with the fact that we wanted children so badly. Just love on that sweet puppy.

Jimbo and Rach said...

Awesome post! Sounds just like our baby Char Char, who is also completely spoiled and can read every emotion we are going through. Pets are the best!