Super Saturday in Starkville

Monday, April 11, 2011

This distance between January 1 and September 1 is LONG! Especially if you are hopelessly devoted to Mississippi State football. That would be me. Thankfully, my dear alma mater understands this anxiety and offers an opportunity to get a little taste of the season with Super Bulldog Weekend complete with a spring game. (At this point, feel free to hear the angels singing "Hallelujah!" with a stream of sunlight shining down on me!) Ha! Russ and I kept three of his brother's children this weekend, and we decided to take them down to Starkvegas AKA "God's Country" to enjoy all the festivities!

We left Saltillo around 11:15 in hopes of a good lunch at Bulldog Deli. We made it just in time to fill our tummies and get a quick visit with my brother and Kyle.

After lunch, we took the children to Campus Bookmart where they could each choose one item. Clay and Leah chose the beloved cowbell (...which I hear is close to being put out of reach at this point in their home. Ha!) and Sam chose a stuffed Bully. All items were to be taken to the game. After we all had our MSU souvenirs, we parked our car and headed toward the Junction.

Sam, Clay, and Leah with the stadium in the background

We arrived at the Junction in time to enjoy hours of Super Bulldog Weekend Fan Fair! There were inflatables, face painting, autographs, Bully, the real Bully, and crawfish among other things! Russ and I decided while in the book store to purchase a football for Clay and Russ to throw around since he may think he was a little old for the inflatables.

Russ and Clay throwing the football in the Junction

While the "big boys" threw the ball around, I took the two smaller ones to the inflatables where we stood in line after line to jump, slide, climb, and jump some more! They had a ball! Thankfully, we packed water bottles and snacks so there was never any complaining. We pretty much played it by ear and did whatever the kids wanted to do with one restroom stop in between.

Me and Clay watching from the shade as Leah and Sam played

Clay decided he would give this one a try!

Leah beat Sam in this race I think.

But Sam came out running!

Leah and Clay got their faces painted

After face painting, Sam and Leah needed to sit, rest, and eat some snacks. So, Clay and I decided we wanted to get Clay's football autographed by lots of the former players. We stood in line...a very long line...until they cut the line off FOUR PEOPLE AHEAD OF US! Poo! We were disappointed, but I managed to push my way up to get pictures of the players at least. Ha!

Anthony Dixon

We weren't disappointed for long, because Bully popped a squat just a few feet away. We all ran over for a picture. Sam was especially excited! He looked for Bully all day.

Sam hugging Bully

Clay, Sam, Leah, and Bully

Of course, I would NEVER pass up an opportunity to sit on Bully's lap!

We had a great afternoon just doing whatever the kids wanted to do. As for Russ and I...we were already doing what we wanted - simply being in Starkville for the spring game!

Me and Sam

Clay, Russ, and Sam

Next stop...Davis Wade Stadium! It was time for some football!


We found some good seats with lots of room in case anyone needed to lay down and nap. It was time to ring our cowbells and cheer for our dogs!

Sam was tired of taking pictures! Ha! This is the fourth picture because I couldn't figure Russ's camera out! Oops!

Leah and Clay ringing responsibly!

We spent the rest of the afternoon cheering, ringing, and watching some football. It was a glorious day and we were on the shady side. The stadium was filled with over 36,000 loyal fans! I sure hope there is some Super Bulldog moments in heaven. Ha! I'll ring my bell for sure!

By the end of the half, Leah was asleep and Sam was still going. But, we didn't want to push our luck. So we decided to leave at halftime and head back. Leah said it best when she said, "I'm a little tired. It has been a big day!"


The kids were troopers and we all had a great time! I'll certainly try to be back next year. I haven't missed a Super Bulldog Weekend since I was in college, and I hope that I don't have to. Thanks, Jimmy and Roan, for sharing your little ones for the day! You'll have to come with us next time!

post signature

2 comments:

Roan said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for keeping my children. They had a blast! And I am so glad that they went with you,
Looks like a super bulldog day!

Anonymous said...

What a fun weekend! I know those sweet children of Roan's had a wonderful time with y'all!