I came home from work to find Russ ironing his nice khaki pants for our nice dinner at Mesquite Chophouse. I ran in, got my clothes out, and told Russ he needed to open one of his gifts before getting ready. He was very excited to do so (see above picture).
When he opened his gift, he mumbled something like, "Wh-wh-what is this?" I grinned from ear to ear and told him it was his attire for the evening.
This is where the mood quickly changed.
![]() |
| Fake smile |
![]() |
| I guess he thought if he looked straight ahead and didn't put his socks and shoes on, it would all just go away. Wrong! |
It was a very silent ride to Mesquite Chophouse. When we pulled into the parking lot, Russ was sitting about as low as one can sit in the passenger side. I was a nervous wreck, shaking, and on the verge of tears. I'll admit that I was praying he really would have a good time and be pleased at the effort I put into planning this evening. We parked, and he just sat there. I continued with my actions: grabbing gifts from the back seat, holding camera in one hand, locking the doors and grabbing my purse with the other, popping the trunk to get the cane out that I was, at this point, terrified to show him. I offered to carry his hat and hid his cane. I told him he could put his glasses in his pocket. Whew! I was exhausted!
Are you feeling sorry for him?!?! DON'T!!! Inside, our private room was before we even got to the hostess table. He was never in any harm, and I couldn't wait to see his reaction when he saw this...
![]() |
| Russ's 30th GRUMPY Old Man party! |
Probably the fact that EVERYONE was dressed up! We were dressed up for him to celebrate his OLD grumpy 30 years of life! I pulled my hat and tie from my purse and put it on while tears began to fill my eyes. Whew! It's hard work being married to a grumpy old man!
![]() |
| Ms. Linda, Charlie, and Jamie |
![]() |
| Dustin and Daddy |
![]() |
| My mother! Oh my! |
![]() |
| Kristin and Lee |
![]() |
| Yep! He would have regretted wearing those ironed khakis! Ha! |
![]() |
| Ms. Linda, Jamie, Kristin, and Lee (I'm lovin' Lee's hat! Ha!) |
![]() |
| Mama, Daddy, Maw Maw, and Dustin (Please notice Maw Maw has on a PEARL TIE...also out of Dustin's closet!) |
I pulled out the mustaches while we waited on our food. I thought it was time to lighten up our party as much as possible! Ha! The waitress said that everyone in the restaurant was trying to see what was going on and why we were dressed up. I might add that it was very crowded! Russ was literally dying when we pulled up! Ha!
After our delicious dinner of incredible meats, sides, salads, and more...it was time for dessert! Once again, I grabbed some Sugarees cupcakes from the store. This time - red velvet. Very good! I topped them off with mustache toppers I made from felt and toothpicks. Very cute!
![]() |
| A typical Dustin moment |
![]() |
| Monkey see, monkey do! |
![]() |
| Make a wish, Babe! |
[Sigh] Yes, I really am married to an old man. And, apparently, so is Jamie! Ha!
![]() |
| So interested in the article. |
![]() |
| Thanks Kristin, Lee, and Dustin! |
We all enjoyed watching Russ open his gifts. He loves them all and can't wait to spend the money and wear the boots. But, I'm pretty sure he's most excited about using the necessities I found for him. Haha!
Yes, it was one fun Grumpy Old Man party! Maybe Russ will trust me a little more next time. Wait...I told him I would never do this to him again, didn't I? Well, I think he would agree that it wasn't so bad. Maybe I can sneak something fun in sometime...like in 10 years. Hmmmm....
![]() |
| Group picture |
![]() |
| Such a loved son-in-law! |
![]() |
| I still absolutely love Maw Maw's pearl tie! Hilarious! |
![]() |
| Russ and Kristin |
![]() |
| The original grumpy old man and his wife! Complete with the booty bump! Ha! |
![]() |
| Lee...the next grumpy old man in our group. |
![]() |
| Sisters |
![]() |
| Charlie and Jamie...Thanks for helping set up! I couldn't have done it without you! |
![]() |
| Grumpy Old Man pushed over the edge! |
![]() |
| Home Sweet Home! |
![]() |
| Farley wanted in on the action too. |


































3 comments:
Thank you for a great, fun, and "not so embarrassing after all" party. Love you!
-Grumpy Old Man
You are tooo creative. And he is soooooo going to get you back! I can't wait to read all about it!
Such a great idea. I'm planning my hubby's 40th and I'm gonna have to keep this in mind. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment