A Joyful Christening

Friday, April 18, 2014

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6


That is the verse I wrote in a card to Clancy, Jack, and sweet Selah Grace on March 30.  Russ and I were incredibly honored that Clancy and Jack asked us to be Selah Grace's godparents.  My family (minus a very pregnant Kristin and Lee) traveled to celebrate the christening of the sweet baby girl.  It is always a joy to worship with the same church family my Nonnie and Pops took us to as children when we visited or spent a week with them.  It is also the church my mom grew up in.  There's your fun fact for the day - my mom grew up in the Lutheran church.


Of course, Selah Grace donned the same christening gown that my uncle and my mom wore as babies.  My sister, Clancy, and I also wore it for our christenings or dedications.  And, Millie Janalee even wore it for her newborn pictures.  She was too big for the gown by the time her dedication came around.  All of our names are embroidered in the slip under the gown.  The lady who added the extension to the dress years and years and years ago is a member of this church, and she was there the day Selah Grace was christened.

Everyone who wore the dress (minus Kristin)
My parents with Clancy, Jack, and Selah Grace
Dustin, Selah Grace, Clancy, and Jack
Selah Grace and her "Big Daddy" and "Mimi"
During the christening ceremony, the pastor acknowledged us as the godparents.  We vowed to pray for Selah Grace throughout her life, live as a Christian example for her, help her to grow in her faith, and encourage her along the way.  We do not take the responsibility lightly, and we understand how difficult the decision was for Jack and Clancy to make for their firstborn.  Russ and I have been honored and humbled by the trust they placed in us.  And we were elated to have the opportunity to celebrate with her on such a special day!

Me, Russ, and Selah Grace
After the church service, Clancy and Jack prepared a lovely reception at their home.  They had a lunch ready for us with a delicious cake for dessert.  We spent the afternoon passing the baby around and enjoying the company of each other.



My mom is the designated "take care of all things sentimental and fragile" person in the family.  Ha!  So she helped Clancy undress Selah Grace after church.  All the ladies took turns coming in the room to "Ooooh" and "Ahhh" over all her little baby rolls.  They are the cutest!  Millie Janalee immediately found her happy place near the book basket, and Selah Grace got dressed in her post-christening attire.



Y'all.  Tell me this isn't the cutest things ever! 

Beautiful family!
Selah Grace dressed in her Sunday afternoon finest complete with accessories - a bracelet and a necklace.  She was quite the model for me as I snapped away.

"Oh me.  Do you think I look alright?"
"Does this headband make me look big?"
After lunch, we all sat around watching Clancy open Selah Grace's gifts.  She received so many sweet gifts.  Russ and I gave her this little christening doll.  There is quite the story behind this!  My mom and I decided we would iron a patch onto the doll's bloomers with Russ and my names and the date written on it.  During the chaos that is always our family...we (and by we, I mean my mom) ironed a hole straight through the bloomers!  Actually a few holes!  It was hilarious because...well...that's just how my family rolls.  Continuing the "Coon Cloud" and Nonnie's legacy.  Clancy took it in stride and said it was perfect.  In fact, in her thank you note to us she said she couldn't wait to take her doll and "her holy underwear" to church.  Yep.  That's what family is for.  To laugh at the mess ups and embrace it as just who we are!


Russ and I began loading later that afternoon after most of the guests left.  Millie Janalee said her goodbyes to the "babies."  These two have some fun days ahead I know!


It is so fun to watch it all unfold as their personalities grow and they become more and more able to interact.  Such joys!  Tis truly so sweet to trust in Jesus!  May I never tire of saying that.


Thank you, Selah Grace, for allowing us the joy of sharing this day with you!
post signature

No comments: