The Old Home Place

Monday, April 7, 2014

Last weekend, my family took a family trip to Jackson to celebrate my cousin's baby girl's christening.  Mama, Millie Janalee, and I drove down a couple days early.  I had a meeting Thursday, and I needed help with Millie Janalee since Russ had to work.  And Mama had a meeting Thursday night.  So it worked out to be travel buddies.


Since we were going to be in town without a packed schedule (this RARELY happens), my mom spoke with one of her cousins who she hasn't seen in years and years.  Perhaps even since before they were married.  I'm not sure on the exact facts.  Millie Janalee and I joined Mama when she met "Little Becky" for lunch.  We were delighted that some of the other family members joined us.  One of my Pops' brothers, a sister, one of the brothers' wives, and "Little Becky" (named after "Big Becky") brought her daugther-in-law.  We enjoyed a delicious Southern meal in Byram before them taking us over to the old home place.


This was the place Pops grew up.  As we pulled into the driveway, Mama began gasping and talking ninety to nothing about all the things she remembered doing as a child around the various spots we passed: the big tree, the gate, etc.  So, I knew I would need to take Millie Janalee's picture around some of her favorite spots!




Everyone began walking toward the house...some from their own house that was also located on the land.  Most of these family members still live on this land.  There were stories...OH the stories!  And lots of connections and names that I tried to keep straight.  My mom still laughs when she talks about how confused I was after we left.  You have to remember, I don't think I have ever met any of these family members.  Except "Big Becky" because she attended my wedding.  But, as you can imagine, we didn't get a chance to visit much that day.


What I do know and will always remember is how much Pops' brother looks so much like him.  I'll be honest.  I sat opposite him at the lunch table, and there was a moment when I had to focus on my food and stop looking at him so I wouldn't cry. Talk about an awkward way to meet a table full of new family members. Ha!  He has a quiet demeanor just like Pops, and so many of his characteristics.  Very surreal.  And it was an honor to meet Pops' family.


We spent the afternoon sitting around the kitchen table talking.  We also enjoyed touring the house and looking at old pictures.  Below is a picture of my mom's grandparents.  This was their home.


My mom's aunts and uncles left lunch a little early to "stop by the bank" before we came to visit the home.  When we arrived, they greeted Millie Janalee with her pick of goodies.  Her favorite was this chocolate and marshmallow cookie/cupcake thing and Hawaiian Punch.  She loved it!  She also enjoyed taking her own little tour of the house and playing with the puppies - Dixie and Peanut.


Hours later, Mama and I loaded a very sleepy Millie Janalee into the car.  We headed toward the hotel room after a long day without a nap.  Millie Janalee slept about 15 minutes in the car, and that was it for the day!  Wow.  Completely worth skipping a nap!  Getting little glimpses into the "good old days" is one of my favorite things!  I was happy to share the experience with my mom and Millie Janalee.  And I hope they were happy to share with us.  I'm pretty sure they were!
post signature

No comments: