New Beginnings!

Monday, September 14, 2015

Millie Janalee had a great first week of preschool.  As expected, she LOVES it and asks everyday if she can go to school.  Or dance class.  Or gymnastics.  Ha!  We had Russ's family over for Labor Day.  we planned an earlier dinner so we could get kids bathed and in bed at a decent hour.  They had a ball swimming and playing after dinner, and the adults enjoyed visiting.  It was Russ's mom's first time to see our new house, so we were excited for her visit.  I was able to get Millie Janalee to the bathtub and bathed with only a medium meltdown for all to see!  But she was bathed and ready for bed at a reasonable time.

I sat in bed with her and read her current favorite "princess book" and then I pulled out my First Day Jitters book from my teaching days.  We read the book and talked about school and friends and her teachers.  She was so excited about seeing all her "fwiends."  We said our prayers, I kissed my toddler goodnight, and I laid all her school things out for her first day!  Because I would wake up with a PRESCHOOLER!


Since I was walking her in to school, I had to be up and ready too.  So I set my alarm, started getting ready, and walked across my quiet house.  I walked in Millie Janalee's room and rubbed her back to wake her up.  She woke up just as pleasant as could be.  I asked if she was ready for school, and she said "YEAH!"  She jumped out of bed and enjoyed breakfast before getting dressed for pre-first day pictures.  Thank goodness Russ was off work last week, because he was a huge help taking care of Smith while I did all the morning things with Millie Janalee.  Surprisingly, we were both ready with plenty of time for pictures and calmly gathering our belongings for the drive to school.


Smith was also very interested in what was going on.  He didn't realize yet that he was going to be so sad and miss his big sister so much during the day.  Bless his sweet little heart!  He has had some adjusting to do.


I was doing so well, and I have been so excited about preschool.  Then we pulled into the parking lot.

And I felt a lump in my throat.

Millie Janalee was asking to get out and go to school, and I was frozen unable to talk to her without my voice cracking.  Yep.  I had a moment.  I wiped my eyes and tried to gather myself as I got out of the car to let her out.  I put her backpack on her and we walked hand in hand across the parking lot as the other students arrived.

We walked into her classroom - like maybe two feet into the room - when she turned around and looked up at me.  "Bye Mama!"  What?!?!  There were no tears.  No hesitation.  Nothing to make me say, "Oh, you don't want to grow  up?  Okay.  Let's get out of here!"  Nothing but excitement.  Sigh.  We found her little cubby so we could hang her backpack and it was right next to her friend, Jack.


Her teacher led some of the children over to the table to color apples.  She sat right down and went to work.  Oh, how my heart aches at how fast this happened!


So, as you can imagine, I walked to my car and sat there for a little while.  Tears streaming down my face.  It was a ridiculous sight, really.  Lord help me when my kids go to college.  I am so proud of how confident my little oldest girl is.  I am proud of her personality and her love and her smile.  And I pray others see her the way I see her.

Precious.  A gift.

Here's to new beginnings and new stages!
post signature

1 comment:

Roan said...

I am so happy that Millie Janalee likes her preschool. Even though you are sad that she is growing up (and just wait until she goes to college! Ha!), be comforted by the fact that SHE is not crying about preschool. Hug!