A Day at the Zoo

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What a fabulous weekend we had! A great beginning to Daylight Savings. Russ and I had planned to spend our Saturday at the Memphis Zoo. We used to take trips to the zoo when we were dating, but haven't been since we have been married. It was beautifully sunny and the temperature was in the lower 70's. Just heavenly!

Beautiful!

Feisty!

Breathtaking!

We got to the zoo around 11, and went straight to "Cat Country," which meant we were ready for lunch pretty soon after. We stopped at a little cafe and playground area for a bite to eat and to just sit in the sunshine and observe all the children and parents around us. Fun and funny! I'm sure Roan will not be surprised to hear that I got a slice of pizza! Ha! No matter where I go, that seems to be a safe staple. Russ opted for a healthier sandwich option...as usual!

Yummy pizza!

My cute hubby!

My favorite part of the zoo is always the African Veldt (I think that's what it was called.), which got us wanting to go back to Disney World. I guess the Animal Kingdom is what triggered that conversation. I just find these animals fascinating! It blows my mind how God created these animals so wonderfully.

I mean, look at these stripes! Perfectly placed. So unique!

Mama giraffe and her baby...obsessed with their eyelashes! It's a drastic contrast from the few I have.

Of course, gorillas crack me up and fascinate me as they seem to know exactly what's going on.

Russ took some amazing pictures, as I'm sure you've noticed. He wanted to rent a zoom lens for the occasion, but I talked him into thinking hard about that. So he didn't. However, I have a feeling we will make our next trip with one.


It was simply a great day outdoors in the amazing weather with my beloved. I love him even though the only picture I have with an animal is next to the hippos. Is that a hint? Hmmmm. Honestly, we were walking along and saw huge hippos right up against the fence. I was mesmerized studying every part of their faces and bodies.

Me and the hippopotamuses

We were like kids in the petting zoo. Oh yeah, this is also where Russ pointed out a prairie dog popping up through a clear glass bubble in the ground. I quickly informed him that it was not a prairie dog. It was, in fact, a cute little girl with pig tails. The mom, who was standing right beside us, got a good laugh at least! Ha!

Russ petting the horse

After spending hours in the zoo, we headed downtown and eventually ate an early supper at one of our favorite cuisines...Japanese hibachi! What a great day spent with the one I love!

How did you enjoy your Saturday?

post signature

1 comment:

dsusansmith@comcast.net said...

Great pictures! Of course, my favorite is the story of the "prarie dog". I love Russ!!
I've missed my oldest daughter and grandpuppy this week.