There are lots of things that are not okay.
When a child is disrespectful...it's not okay. When I step in gum...it's not okay. When my team loses...it's not okay. When my mom buys something that I already bought her for Christmas...it's not okay. When we're out of milk after I've already cooked the macaroni and cheese noodles...it's definitely not okay.
Now, of course, there are many things I love too. One of those is being an aunt. When Russ and I were dating, I entered into a family that was already formed. A large family that had been growing for 15 years before me. I never knew his sister and brother before marriage or kids. I never knew his parents before grandkids. I was a nervous wreck at all times when we were all together. Not because I was made to feel uncomfortable, but because I felt so young. I felt like I wouldn't have anything in common with all these "grownups" and children. To be completely honest, it was the children that I clung to first. I loved those sweet babies to death! Let's see...Olivia was 5 years old at that time, which would make Will 7 or 8. Now, Will is 20 and Olivia is 16! Crazy how time flies! Of course, as you well know, I grew very very close to both my sister-in-laws. But, it was after we had been married a while before I really felt like we weren't on different planets. (They are probably going to die when they read that! Ha!)
One thing I've always loved is the dream of being a mother. Since that dream hasn't quite happened yet, I'm remembering that I still have a special place. I'm an aunt.
I'm an aunt to eight sweet nieces and nephews who love me, I hope, as much as I love them. I'm the aunt that buys loud toys for Christmas and lets them wear makeup and play with my hair as long as they want to. I'm an aunt who can do all those fun things and not worry about being a disciplinarian. I'm just the aunt, after all! Ha!
Not only am I an aunt to these children, but I'm "Aunt Megan" to most of their friends too. I hear "Aunt Megan" and I turn to find a child I've never seen before! I love it! It cracks me up! Roan texted me the other day and said that the Spartans (their homeschool cross country group) wanted to know when "Aunt Megan" was coming to watch them run. So fun! (By the way, Spartans, I'm trying to make it to see you run! I've been working every Saturday I'm not in Starkville.)
I taught second grade in VBS this year, and most of the girls were friends with one of our neices. So, instead of Mrs. Megan, they called me "Aunt Megan." I loved it. We had many people VERY confused, but that's okay. Something about these kids feeling that close to me makes me smile.
I know that my time as a mother will come one day. At least I pray that it does. But, if I'm nothing more than an aunt for now...
that's fine with me!

When a child is disrespectful...it's not okay. When I step in gum...it's not okay. When my team loses...it's not okay. When my mom buys something that I already bought her for Christmas...it's not okay. When we're out of milk after I've already cooked the macaroni and cheese noodles...it's definitely not okay.
Now, of course, there are many things I love too. One of those is being an aunt. When Russ and I were dating, I entered into a family that was already formed. A large family that had been growing for 15 years before me. I never knew his sister and brother before marriage or kids. I never knew his parents before grandkids. I was a nervous wreck at all times when we were all together. Not because I was made to feel uncomfortable, but because I felt so young. I felt like I wouldn't have anything in common with all these "grownups" and children. To be completely honest, it was the children that I clung to first. I loved those sweet babies to death! Let's see...Olivia was 5 years old at that time, which would make Will 7 or 8. Now, Will is 20 and Olivia is 16! Crazy how time flies! Of course, as you well know, I grew very very close to both my sister-in-laws. But, it was after we had been married a while before I really felt like we weren't on different planets. (They are probably going to die when they read that! Ha!)
| Our first piece of mail in our new apartment last fall...from Grace |
![]() |
| Drawing by Leah when we kept them overnight this past spring |
| Thank you note from Julie after Christmas one year |
![]() |
| Sweet note from one of the new Jefcoat children...LOVE the names she gave us! |
| Thank you note from Clay a few years ago for Christmas gifts...also LOVE the spelling! Keepsake! |
![]() |



1 comment:
How precious that you have kept all of those notes and pictures!
You fit in just fine! Always have! I am glad that you not longer think we are from different planets! Ha! I have learned so much from you over the past years. I love you dearly!
Post a Comment