Farley Friday

Friday, May 25, 2012


As I was looking back through the blog, I realized that sweet little Farley Man has gotten the shaft.  So sad!  Farley is our first born, and I do not want him to feel that I have neglected him with blog appearances.  So...here he is!  Isn't he SWEET?!  In honor of this "Farley Friday," I figured I'd give you a few fun facts about our little boy.
  1. Farley is full of energy...most of the time!  Lately, he cracks me up because he's not a little puppy anymore.  I usually get up around 7 or 7:30 in the morning.  I go into the living room, hula hoop (Don't make fun!), eat breakfast, and watch the Today show and Live with Kelly.  By the time I head back to the shower, I look over to the bed and Farley has not budged.  He is still fast asleep!  So funny.  And a little sad, because it's another reminder that he's getting to be a little old man.  But other than that morning laziness, Farley ALWAYS wants to play!  He barks and chases most any dog or child that walks past our apartment...and the child that stomps around upstairs!  He brings us his little monkey over and over and over again.  The goal is for us to play tug-o-war until we win...then to throw it so Farley can go get it and bring it back.  Then it starts again.  Full of energy!
  2. Farley is very intuitive.  He knows the second Russ and/or I decide to go somewhere.  His tail tucks as he freezes and watches us intently.  Then, as we gather our belongings he starts to get real close in hopes of joining.  When we are packing the car for any kind of trip, Farley will literally jump as high as our waist trying to get us to pick him up.  He doesn't want to be left out of anything!  If I start crying, Farley is always the first to jump in my lap.  He knows.  When Russ pulls his car into the parking lot, somehow Farley senses he is here and starts barking or goes to the door until Russ comes in.  He used to do this at our house too.  I still haven't figured it out.  But, his ability to intuitively know when someone is coming to our apartment makes me feel a little safer at night!  Ha!
  3. Farley has LOTS of tricks.  Except one.  We taught Farley at an early age to sit, lay down, shake, roll over, and turn around.  Somehow we failed to teach him how to "come here" when prompted.  Don't get me wrong...he comes running when he wants to.  However, any chance he ever had of roaming free outside of a fenced in area is long gone.  He will forever be on a leash when not in a fenced in yard.  Bless his heart!  All he had to do was come when called! 
  4. Farley's birthday is June 1.  He will be SEVEN years old!  Oh my!  I can't even think about it!  Farley was born the same month we were married.  He has been with us nearly our entire married life, and I couldn't imagine how lonely we would be without his company, love, and fun.  He has endured 7 years of us dressing him up, talking baby talk, showing off his tricks, traveling everywhere we go, weekends and even weeks with his grandparents, and probably a little too much clingy-ness.  We are usually already at the beach for his birthday, while he is at the vet being boarded.  I feel so guilty.  Don't make me feel worse!  However, this year he will be with us.  We need to make him feel special.  We don't leave for the beach until the next day, so hopefully we will shower him with "Happy Birthday" songs and fun!
  5. Farley will always be a blessing.  He was my companion and friend when Russ spent countless late nights and overnights at the library or hospital during med school and residency.  He was my cuddle buddy during our fertility struggles.  He kept us smiling and laughing even when we felt like crying.  He will always be our "first baby."  If you are not a dog person, you will never understand the bond between a dog and humans.  But, in my family, dogs are family.  Literally.  I truly believe that dogs are God's way of showing unconditional love.

So, enjoy your Friday!  I think I'll go rub Farley's belly and talk baby talk to him today.  Right now he is perched on his spot on top of the couch by the big window...with his little eyes looking at me.  I love it when he looks around and I get to see the whites of his eyes!  Ha!  He doesn't know it yet...but he is going to spend the weekend with his grandparents today.  My parents treat him as their own.  In fact, when we visit Russ says, "When we are at your parents' house, Farley is their dog."  Ha!  So there is no discipline from us.  We just let my dad take care of it all. 


Happy Friday!
post signature

1 comment:

Joy said...

I think being a parent to a dog is the most important lesson before becoming a parent to a baby. They teach us so much!!! Love this post!!