Christmas Eve with Russ's Family

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Russ and I have been blessed that our family traditions and celebrations rarely, if ever, interfere with each other.  On Christmas Eve, we always spend the day at Russ's parents' home with the family.  We eat lunch, visit, and open gifts together.  We also celebrate another special day.  Russ's mom celebrates her birthday on Christmas Eve as well.  Bless her heart sharing her birthday with the excitement of Christmas.  She even graciously allows us to wrap her gifts in Christmas paper occasionally.  (That is something I always hated having a December birthday.)

Russ's mama opening one of her birthday gifts.

While she opened her gifts, the kids were chomping at the bit to get into theirs.  They began passing the gifts out to a room full of kids and adults.  Let's see...Russ's parents have three children all married, nine grandchildren, and a few friends, girlfriends, boyfriends, etc.  Always a full home full of energy and love.


Little Mistletoes from Millie Janalee
This was the first year Millie Janalee was able to open her own gifts.  Last year, she just laid in my lap while I opened her gifts.  It was fun watching her excitement and expressions with each gift.  It was also interesting trying to get her to understand that we have to put the gift away to open a new one.  Ha!

She immediately knew what to do with the baby and baby bottle.
Getting to be a pro at unwrapping gifts
Aunt Roan is always good to get educational toys/gifts!
"Help me, Mama."
One of my favorite things to do at Christmas is watch our nieces and nephews open their gifts.  I love how excited they are over every little thing!  I was able to catch a few glimpses of them opening this year, and it was just as fun as always! 

Grace and Leah
Clay and Sam opening the book we gave them recommended by The Park Wife
Elle (our oldest nephew's fiance)
Jeff, Cody, and Seth
Millie Janalee getting into a huge gift from Aunt Roan and family
Elle and Julie enjoyed watching too.
Every year, Jimmy and Roan's children make/craft gifts for family members.  Sweet Julie is a master crocheter and knitter. Are those real words?  Anyway, she made Millie Janalee the most adorably perfect little hat for our future State games!  I'm pretty obsessed!

She's impressed.
One of the best things about being an aunt is giving gifts that their parents may not particularly want them to have.  Like an amp and microphone for Grace!  Ha!  She has been asking for one for a while, and I told her she needed to think of something else.  However, when I was walking through Toys R Us one day, I spotted this box that looked like an amp and microphone.  It was in my price range, and I just couldn't pass it up.  I even had a lengthy conversation with the salesman making sure it was what it looked like for such a great price.  There was only one in the store, and there was no price marker for it.  I'm thinking it had been there just for me.  Elle may have rolled her eyes at the performances that would now takeover the Mansel home.  Haha!  That's what aunts are for!  To help the kids make noise!

A happy girl!
We allowed all the children to finish opening all their gifts and move them out of the room before the adults began to unwrap.  It took three garbage bags to keep up with the trash while the children opened gifts.

Olivia with her new earrings - always fashion
One of my favorite gifts from Jimmy and Roan!  We love it!
Sam always loves Legos
Getting sleepy just in time for naptime
I have to include this picture, because it was so thoughtful.  Elle's little sister recently cleaned out her closet.  Her new clothes are too big for these little girl hangers, so she decided to give them to Millie Janalee.  Because we all know she could use more hangers for her clothes!  So thoughtful, and I've already started using them!  Thank you Mackenzie!


We cleared the little ones out, and I put Millie Janalee down for a nap.  It was time for the adults to open gifts!  Roan and I always get a little excited, and we started opening gifts before everyone else.  Ha!  We can't wait to see everyone open gifts either.  We share a love of Christmas shopping, wrapping, and gift giving.

Roan and me waiting anxiously
The children crafted gifts for some of the adults too.  Clay is a master blacksmith, and made an amazing knife for Russ's dad.  Russ has already told me he would love to have one too.

Pop opening his knife
Roan and Jimmy
Anna Kate, Seth, and Russ
A sweet book for our "Millie Janalee-isms"
Elle and Jenny opening gifts
It was a very Merry Christmas Eve with Russ's family!  Everyone was so generous.  And we had a ball!
post signature

No comments: