As you can imagine, things around here are in full swing these days. I did have a chance to take Smith's two week pictures on the actual day. Amidst a crying toddler from her timeout spot and a frustrated baby upset by the chaos. I just haven't had a chance to blog about it. I'm working to do better. Smith was two weeks old this past Monday!
Needless to say, some days I think it's impossible that sweet Smith has been in our family for two weeks. Then other days I feel like he's been here forever. We spent the first full two weeks and a day at my parents' home in our hometown. Basically, our adoption was an out of state adoption. So the Bethany offices had to complete paperwork (called an interstate compact) and send it back and forth to each other and to the state agencies that make the final decisions. We could not leave the state with Smith until it was approved. During that time, my parents were gone on a trip to the Grand Canyon during one week, and Russ had to return to work in Missouri the later part of the two weeks. I'm sure you can guess that it was a little chaotic mothering two children alone in someone else's home while adjusting to a newborn schedule. But we made it! He survived, and so did I. We were fortunate to have our friend, a local pediatrician, available to see us during our time there.
At Smith's two week checkup, he weighed 7.4 pounds (22%) and measured 20.5 inches long (60%). Dr Fowler said he was perfect, and I agreed! He came off the bill blanket earlier in the week, and his color is much better. He is eating 4 ounces every 4 hours. He even surprised us with a TWELVE HOUR sleeping stint the night before we left town! It hasn't happened since, but we were all pretty amazed at the event. He's pretty gassy...bless his little heart! So we are adding gas drops to every bottle. He still has his bouts of tummy pain (at least that's what we think), but he is such a delight! We have nicknamed him "Mr. Serious" as we watch his little personality come out. He keeps his forehead furrowed, and it's the cutest thing. Ha!
We enjoyed lots of fun moments during Smith's second little week of life. Bathtimes full of activity, and Millie Janalee even assisted in one. Playtime with his cousin, Hughes. Lots of visitors. And special help from a friend who came and spent the day helping me get babies bathed and fed and entertained. I am thankful for Kristin and Lee who kept us fed most days. We even took a little field trip to Maw Maw's. It was lively, but we did it!
I am still amazed at how quickly he changes. Daily. I look forward to so many more days and weeks watching his personality form and blossom. What will his interests be? What will make him smile? Who will be his favorite - me or Russ? Haha! Whatever the future holds, I know that I will love this boy something fierce! He's the perfect missing piece to our family.
And we are thankful and in disbelief each day. Happy two weeks sweet boy!


No comments:
Post a Comment