Christmas Eve

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Christmas Eve is by far my favorite day of Christmas!  So many memories surrounding this day.  One of my most precious Christmas memories is that of the Christmas Eve service at our hometown church I grew up in.  Such a special time for families to gather with our church family and stop.  Stop the hustle and bustle of the holiday season and focus on the true meaning of Christmas.  We sing carols and listen to a reading of the Christmas story.  The advent wreath is lit by different families from the church throughout the service.  We end the service with an acapella version of Silent Night by candlelight.  It is beautiful.  


This year was even more special as I cradled our newborn Smith on his very first Christmas.  He slept through most of the service, and he woke to eat at the perfect time.  Such an angel.  Literally.  An angel baby sent from above.  And as I cradled his sweet tiny body, I thought about his birthparents as they struggled through their first Christmas without him in their arms.  I was holding him for all of us.

When Russ saw him, he asked "Is he wearing a dress?!" No!  It's a GOWN!
After our Christmas Eve service, my side of the family gathers at my parents' house for dinner prepared by my mama.  While she put the finishing touches on some things and had help getting everything set, the kids (big and little) ran wild as they anticipated opening the gifts under the tree!

Uncie Buck and Millie Janalee
Me and Smith on his very first Christmas Eve
Smith and She She
Uncie Buck and She She
Russ arrived just in time for dinner!  Someone was especially happy to see him after a long week away...


Kristin and Lee stop by his family's Christmas dinner after church, so they arrived a little late.  Millie Janalee insisted being in their family picture.  Ha!

Kay Kay, Hughes, Millie Janalee, and Lee
We enjoyed a delicious Christmas dinner at a beautiful table filled with conversation and laughter.  As always.  Because I've waited so long to blog, I can't even remember what we had.  But I promise it was FABULOUS!


After dinner, some change to be more comfortable before the passing out of the gifts commences.  As our family grows...our seating becomes more limited once the gifts are passed out.  We are still kinda new to "Christmas with kids", so we may need to make some accommodations.  Including A LIMIT! Haha!  My family has always done Christmas big. We love to give!  It's so much fun for us.

Passing out the gifts
Millie Janalee found her pile
Smith found his!
Waiting patiently.
She She and Buck are always lots of fun!
Once we all got settled in, we decided to start with the kids.  That way when the sleepy fusses started, we could whisk them off to bed.  Kristin and Lee spent the night with us all this year...so that was fun too.  Hughes was celebrating his first Christmas too!  Such a fun night!

Hughes opening the first gift of the night
Millie Janalee LOVES to check our heartbeats!
Her current obsession!  The cowboy hat and guitar.  She's pretty much got it mastered now.
This was right before Hughes projectile spit up on the floor from all the rocking. Hahahaha!
Elsa and Olaf!  What could be better?!
The adults did eventually get to open our own gifts.  I can't believe I don't even have a single picture of any of us opening. Ha!  My, how things have changed!  I'm pretty sure I was policing Millie Janalee's fits of overwhelming excitement and frustration as we took one toy away to open another...or rocking Smith to sleep.  Either way, we were all very blessed this year and every year.  Lots of fun and laughs around our family Christmas Eve!

After the gifts are put away, our final Christmas Eve tradition begins.  The reading of The Christmas Story and Twas the Night Before Christmas.  My dad has done this for us since we were little bitty.  Our bodies may grow...but we just move to bigger furniture.  Hughes couldn't make it, but thankfully the other two did.  Smith didn't know if he made it or not...he just slept right through it!  Ha!


Of all the things we do and gifts we receive at Christmas...the only thing we always remember are the memories.  The traditions.  And the reason for the season.  The feeling you get when you come "home for the holidays."  I am thankful we grew up with these memories.  Because that's what keeps us coming home.


It was a Merry Christmas Eve for all!
post signature

No comments: