This is what I came up with. Mrs. Johnson's Homework Keeper. This all came together during one of my recent visits to Office Depot. I was leaning toward a file box passed around with folders for each child to turn in his/her homework. Then, I thought of something a bit easier and more portable.
I bought a 1 1/2 inch binder and filled it with pocket dividers. I will number each pocket - my students are numbered at the beginning of the year. One pocket is for homework turned in, and the other is for homework that I have checked and is ready to go back home. The students will pass this around each morning as part of their morning procedures. They will turn in homework in the "Homework In" side. If the homework is not there by the time I get the binder, they will not get credit for it. Then, if there is homework in the "Homework Out" pocket, they will take that home.
Next, I had to think about how I would keep up with homework myself. I made this sheet that will stay between the two pockets. I will write the date, check homework turned in, and make any comments needed. This way, I have documentation (with comments) for parent conferences and for my own knowledge. Especially when it's time to give grades, and I want to add a homework grade.
3 comments:
I think your homework keeper is a super idea.
I used to give my kids 0-5 points per day for turned in homework...I gave homework in math and reading (phonics, etc). I made sure that I assigned 20 days of homework in a 9 week period. Then I added up the points (if they got 5 every day, then that was a 100), and that number was included as a daily grade when I averaged grades. 0 was not turned in. 1 was turned in but pretty pitiful, 2 was a little better....4 maybe they missed 1 or 2....you get the idea.
Maybe some sort of similar system can work for you.
post more ideas!!! i hate keeping up with homework! it is by far my weakness.
I use the same kind of homework record. However, my parents have to sign it. My assistant checks all homework thank goodness. I am HORRIBLE when it comes to checking homework. But I feel like if I give it, it should be checked. I think your homework keeper is an EXCELLENT idea!!!
Post a Comment