Wow...62 Years!

Saturday, July 25, 2009

July 24, 1947 was the date my grandparents were married. 62 years ago! Wow! Yesterday afternoon, we all headed over to the nursing home to celebrate. My uncle picked up my grandfather from the assisted living complex, my cousin brought my aunt, and Russ and I met everyone there. We arrived just as the residents were getting ready for supper, so everyone waited in the hall so we would not overwhelm the other ladies. Clancy and I visited with Nonnie while she ate supper. It was a hoot! She talked nonstop. The nurses cleared the other residents out so we could celebrate in the dining room.

Clancy had to work last night and had to leave early, so we got a quick group shot before the party. Uncle Howard brought a cute cake, and Nonnie and Pops opened lots of cards from family and friends. Pops also gave Nonnie a very cute necklace. Nonnie used to always say, "You know, I'm party gypsy!" She loves jewelry. We enjoyed cake and ice cream while we visited.

Opening cards

Cute cake!

I was trying to get Nonnie to stand by Pops for a picture (you never know what she will be willing to do these days, so I was crossing my fingers) and she just plopped down on Pops's knee! When we got back in the car, Russ said, "I bet Pops felt like a young man again with Nonnie on his knee." Ha! How cute! Also notice her new necklace.

He looks pretty happy! This was right after she leaned in to kiss him.

Russ, Nonnie, and Pops

It was so special for all of us to be able to celebrate 62 years of marriage with my grandparents. One thing we have learned through these past few months is to never take one day for granted. You never know what the next day will hold!

Happy Anniversary Nonnie and Pops! We love you!

post signature

2 comments:

Susan Smith said...

Thank you for posting that. I love the way he looked at her after she kissed him! Thanks for posting that so I could be a part of it. I was very blessed to grow up with parents that love each other so much! We can all learn from them.
Mama

Anonymous said...

I also love the picture of him smiling after the kiss- so sweet! You can see love in his eyes!