Christmas Eve with the Smiths

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Following Christmas with the Johnsons, we join my side of the family for the Christmas Eve Candlelight Service at our home church. It is always very special for our church members and our families. After this special service, my mother prepares a wonderful meal for us to enjoy together. We all came in wrapping gifts at the last minute while my mom put the finishing touches on the meal.

Dustin did some wrapping too! Doesn't it look interesting? Ha!

I took time for a photo op by the tree while Russ wrapped the rest of his gifts.

Maw Maw got a cup of boiled custard while she waited.
Merry Christmas Ya'll!

Mama

Daddy cutting the tenderloin

This year we had a special treat! My dad's brother, Uncle Donald, spent Christmas with our family. I think the last time we all had Christmas together was when I was five years old or so! We enjoyed visiting with him this year and sharing a few of our traditions.

Daddy, Maw Maw, and Uncle Donald
Uncle Donald wore an MSU Santa hat just for the occasion! BIG sacrifice for that Ole Miss fan! Ha!

After supper, all the "kids" began passing out gifts to our traditional places. Isn't it funny how traditions stick...even down to the seating for opening gifts!?

We all surveyed the surprises, just as the young children do! Secretly, we were all picking up the boxes feeling out the weight of each one, taking guesses as we went. Ha!

Russ takes his place on the ottoman with his gifts.

Lee on the piano bench...
Bless his heart! He was the last one in the family, so he has the most uncomfortable seat!

Maw Maw in her chair and Uncle Donald squeezed in an extra chair.

Me, Kristin, and Mama sit on the couch. No telling where Mama was or what she was doing. Probably getting garbage bags! Ha!

Dustin in his corner with his gifts

Farley joined Daddy in his recliner. Every king has his throne, I suppose!

I don't know if I have gone over the logistics of this event with ya'll before, but let me explain how it goes. Ha! We started opening gifts around 9:00. Did you see how many were under the tree? We go around one at a time to open each gift. Everyone laughs, discusses, or admires each gift before we move on to the next person. This could last all night! And we have the best time! Everyone should do it this way. Ha! It makes the fun of the wrapped gifts last so much longer. Uncle Donald's eyes started getting red after the second or third round, I believe. I think this routine must be like wine...an acquired taste! Ha!

Mary found Maw Maw the perfect pillow!

Kristin took one for the team and painted Uncle Donald and Aunt Gail a canvas in red and blue!

You absolutely NEVER know what to expect during a Smith Christmas Eve! There are always a few surprises and bouts of laughter! For example....

What could this be?! Kristin's face is the best part!

Anonymous gifts that fit so perfectly!

Different headgear for nearly each round!

Everyone works very hard to find the perfect gifts. Gifts to make us laugh. Gifts to make us "ooh and ahh". Gifts that are just right. It is always fun. And never boring.

Small town girl

Farley's looking "gangsta" (according to Russ) with his new MSU sun visor!

Dustin peeks out the window checking on Brodie. How will he open his gifts?

Ringing in the New Year at the GATOR BOWL! We'll be there!

Ice scraper with a warm mit! I think we needed that on Christmas morning!

I was looking through my pictures, and I noticed I have quite a lot of Dustin. He is typically a one man entertainment. Besides playing old records on my parents' record player like "Donkey Ballad" and the comments he makes about his gifts, the fact that he will have on EVERY piece of clothing or accessory he receives by the end of the night just makes you laugh.

He shared with Farley this time.

By the end of the night, Uncle Donald shed his State hat. He had sacrificed all he could...until we opened his gift to find a Mississippi State basket for tailgating!

Uncle Donald and me

We kept going around the circle until midnight or later opening gifts and laughing and talking. It's not necessarily the gifts (although those are usually just as much fun!), but the time we spend together. Getting to know each one even better as we hear the comments, jokes, reactions, and choices of each gift. Quality time. Hmmmm....sounds like my second love language! That must be why I love this so!

Kristin's hand painted owl ornaments from me and Russ

Snuggle time for Susu and Farley

Sistas with our headgear from Farley

Didn't I tell you that Dustin would put every accessory on his body? Ha!

Russ and I exchange gifts Christmas Eve night during my family's Christmas too. Imagine my surprise to unwrap this loveliness! Oh my! I'm blogging right now from my new, fancy, wireless keyboard on my computer with only ONE CORD! Yep! My hubby did well this year! In fact, he did GREAT!

We look like we are posed for a prom picture or something! Ha! Unplanned, I promise!

As usual, we had a wonderful time. All the "kids" posed for a Christmas picture in the cute headgear Farley found for all of us.

Smithites (plus a couple)

The next task isn't quite as much fun...

Clean up time!

Once everything is cleaned up, we all put our gifts away. We need to clean the living room so that we can get ready for our last (and my favorite) Christmas Eve tradition. Dustin always tries on everything in the living room before putting them up. This will probably never change!

Dustin wearing a few of his gifts and his new boom box iPod stereo.

Russ wearing his fun, new accessories! Ha! Girls, I know you are jealous of my fashionable hubby!

My favorite Christmas Eve tradition began before I can remember. It all started when the children could ALL fit in Daddy's lap in a recliner. Eventually, we all outgrew the recliner and sat on the arm of it. And, then we grew so big (in age...not necessarily width!) that we had to move over to the couch. Now, we take up the whole thing! We change into our pajamas. My dad always reads The Christmas Story and Twas the Night Before Christmas to us before going off to bed so that Santa could come. This tradition still stands!

Me and Farley

Grandpuppies have been allowed to join, but no husbands. ONLY Smithites and their young. Russ and Lee enjoy watching anyway. They are usually doubled over laughing at us or some funny remark Daddy or Dustin make. It really is quite the spectacle. We should charge admission for people to come watch.

I mean, just look at us! A big group of goofballs!

Once the stories are over, it's time for bed. We don't want Santa to skip our house this year...or EVER! Russ and I went to our room where he found his stocking from me. It was nice to give him one last "thank you" for my special gift!

Then...not a creature was stirring. Not even a mouse!

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a GOOD NIGHT!

post signature

2 comments:

scrappinmommom said...

Megan, so loved your sharing your family's Christmas. What fun you had!!! What a wonderful family you have and how very special each Christmas memory. Have a wonderful and healthy New Year 2011!!

Dennis said...

I love this family...