We started off by introducing ourselves and all the formalities of meeting new people. Then, we jumped right in! Our worker pretty much let us start by telling her how we met, how long we dated before we were married, our schooling, our basic background information, etc. Then, we talked about what led us to adoption. She took some notes as we talked, but I really felt like she was simply trying to get to know us. It was very pleasant. We talked a little about our families and our support at home and all over the country...that's where YOU ALL came in! We told her how overwhelmed we have been with our t-shirt sales, and she was amazed too. This baby is already so loved! There have been several recent ways we have seen God's hand at work through this story, and I wish I could share them all with you. It really has been such a joy to let Him lead and watch as He works! You should try letting Him lead if you haven't already!
Once we told her a little about us as a couple (and directed her to our blog to see more), it was time for the paperwork! It really was not as daunting as I expected. Maybe it is spaced out for us, so we won't be overwhelmed. I'm not sure yet. We each have many, many essay questions to answer for our self study that will be used to guide our individual interviews, physicals including a drug screening and TB skin test (this has been quite the ordeal today!), financial statement (which we had already completed before starting the process to be sure we would be okay to continue), copy of birth certificate, tax form, copy of marriage license, insurance coverage affidavit, and criminal background check. We only have to complete our financial statement, self study, and physicals before meeting for individual interviews! We are a little behind since the passing of Nonnie and our family vacation, but we are now steady at work on the paperwork. We will send it in chunks to Bethany, and then our worker will be ready to continue.
I know many of you are not interested in this post, but I would have LOVED to have someone spell it all out for me when I was researching the process. I asked SO many questions to SO many adoptive parents before I even began looking for an agency. I like to know exactly what I'm getting into, although adoption doesn't really work like that. Ha! I hope this helps others and offers a little insight for those praying, so you know exactly what you're praying for!
Gotta get back to work! Still praying for more...
3 comments:
It might be a pain to go through all the paper work and questions, but I know it will all pay off in the end. This baby really has no clue how much he/she is already loved!!
I remember all that. Just take it one step at a time and you'll get through it. Don't get overwhelmed by the paperwork.
We have been through this with Foster Parenting, Megan! It's loong..but don't get discouraged. I am so excited for you and praying that all will go well!
Post a Comment