Positive Adoption Language

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Like infertility, adoption is one of those things you really can't totally understand unless you are in or have been in the process yourself. Although adoption is different from how many people grow their families, it is how we choose to begin to grow our family. I want to use this blog as a place for others to watch our journey, pray with us and for us, and also to educate others on the adoption process. During the four (I don't count the last year because we were no longer "struggling") years Russ and I struggled with infertility, there were always well meaning comments that just hit me wrong. Of no fault of anyone else. But, once again, unless you've been there...you can't totally understand how words can affect people. I have found that many others feel the same way, and I came across a great resource that I feel is worth sharing. Especially to those who are a part of our daily life. So, I'm passing it on...

Positive Language - Negative Language

Birthparent - Real Parent
Biological Parent - Real Parent
Birth Child - Own Child
My Child - Adopted Child
Born to Unmarried Parents - Illegitimate
Terminate Parental Rights - Give Up
Make an Adoption Plan - Give Away
To Parent - To Keep
Waiting Child - Available Child
Parent - Adoptive Parent
Child Placed for Adoption - Unwanted Child
Court Termination - Child Taken Away
Child with Special Needs - Handicapped Child
Child from Abroad - Foreign Child
Was Adopted - Is Adopted

Words not only convey information, they also evoke feelings. One of our required readings is Dear Birthmother. This book talks about misconceptions of adoption. Many times, the language we have heard on TV dramas or movies have contributed to these misconceptions. We use positive language to educate others and help alleviate these misconceptions over time. I'm sure no one is ever ill-meaning when using negative language. I have been guilty of it in the past. They may not be educated on true adoption. I hope this helps to encourage others and help some as they educate themselves, and in turn educate about adoption. Using positive language, we say that adoption is a way to build a family just as giving birth is...one no more important than the other.

post signature

5 comments:

Roan said...

I am reallly enjoying all of your posts about adoption. I am getting an education! Thanks for sharing your journey. I can't wait until your party of two expands! You are going to be such a good mother!

Ashley said...

You will still get some ignorant comments after you adopt! Blogging is a great way to educate friends and family on the process. I like to think that my blog has opened a lot of people's eyes who know me to the realities of adoption, not just what they see on t.v. One of the biggest misconceptions that I hear is that all birthmoms are drug addicted, no-good, inferior people. That makes me so mad! I try to let people know that my daughter's birthmom truly loves her but she was mature enough (at 14) to know that she couldn't take care of her. Thanks for sharing your story!

Amy said...

Stumbled upon your blog tonight. Love this post!! Just wanted you to know that I will be praying for you. As a new adoptive mom ( 7 months) I understand where you are walking. You will be amazed at how God's plan unfolds and is perfect for you!!Thanks for sharing your heart!

maureen said...

I really love to read your blog, and have been for about a year or so, even before you mentioned adoption. I have adopted 4 girls and we believe that God always meant for us to be a family and we thank Him for the decisions of their first families to share them with me and make our new forever family.

One thing I wanted to share with you is a website I have recently found that may be of some help to you. It puts waiting families with a network of agencies from around the country. So you are not just working with one agency.

www.creatingchristianfamilies.com

I get their emails and have sent a lot of questions to them that they have answered promptly and honestly. I hope this helps your journey. Our family is praying for you and your future children.

Blessings,
Maureen

Lauree said...

I just found your blog through Roan's blog. I am very excited to follow your adoption journey. My three children are adopted from other countries. I love adoption! Your blog will be very educational for your friends. My friends learned a lot through mine, especially about adoption lingo. :) I've only gotten a few really obnoxious comments. And one was from a Missionary but she quickly changed what she was saying. Adoption is not for the weak, and we only got through it by leaning on God. The end result is priceless though. I love to see more people choosing adoption! I will be praying for you and your adoption! And hey, if you ever need a stranger to talk to about adoption, look me up! haha. My blog www.thesolbergseries.blogspot.com has information about our adoptions as well.