The more I read the letters, the more my heart ached for the birthparents. I could never imagine having to make the decision to make an adoption plan for a life growing inside of me. I'm so thankful that these women have chosen life when there are certainly "easier" options now. I respect the women and their families who watch as the doctors check ultrasounds knowing that they may or may not see them after their birth. Such sacrifice. Such love. Children who enter families through adoption are blessed with two different loves. That of their birthmother, the one to whom God gave them first. And that of their "Mama," the one who longed for, prayed for, cried for, and begged for the chance to mother one of God's children. Scouring other adoption blogs, I came across this poem, and I love it!"The Legacy of An Adopted Child"
Once there were two women
Who never knew each other.
One you do not remember,
The other you call Mother.
Two different lives,
Shaped to make yours one.
One became your guiding star,
The other became your sun.
The first gave you life,
The second taught you to live in it.
The first gave you a need for love,
And the second was there to give it.
One gave you a nationality,
The other gave you a name.
One gave you the seed of talent,
The other gave you an aim.
One gave you emotions,
The other calmed your fears.
One saw your first smile,
The other dried your tears.
One gave you up,
It was all that she could do.
The other prayed for a child,
And was led straight to you.
And now you ask me through your tears,
The age-old question through the years:
Heredity or environment - which were you a product of?
Neither, my darling, neither -
Just two different kinds of love.
5 comments:
Sooo sweet.
Hi~ visiting from the BCS facebook page. My hubby and I recently adopted our daughter through BCS. Just wanted to encourage you and tell you that the wait is definitely worth it! God's timing is perfect.
I am fervently praying for you two and the child God will place in your arms.I am now reminded to also pray just as hard for the woman who carries that baby.
I've been reading your blog (from Angie's) lately and so excited to hear what is going on in your life. My best friend gave up her son to adoption 25 years ago and just recently (like last week) have they found each other. It's a beautiful story and one that I hope has the same ending for you and yours! Thanks for sharing your life with me as a perfect stranger.
Love that poem! Another amazing book you might enjoy is "A Cord of Three Strands" by Tricia Robbins. Based on the true story of her decision to place her child for adoption. It is a must read for adoptive families! Excited for you as you begin this journey. Somil
Post a Comment