Date Night at Range USA

Friday, August 12, 2011

Tonight, we had a great date night with friends!  Russ and Jake have been dying to try out Range USA, a shooting range in Memphis, for some time now.  I am very much not a fan of guns.  I won't even touch Russ's.  So, when Jake and Russ had this discussion at church a while back, I was glad he found someone to join him.  That is until Jennifer walked up.  Apparently, she finds shooting guns liberating.  Ahem.  Enter my participation.  When Jennifer and Jake decided to come for a visit, I worked up the courage to enjoy my date night at the shooting range.
  My first shooting range experience!
The best dates ever
What's great about "Date Night" at this shooting range is that for one great price, you can have one hour in a lane, two boxes of ammunition, and two meals.  There is a restaurant there too!  So, while we waited until our name was called, we enjoyed a nice dinner full of conversation.  Jake was like a kid in a candy store gobbling his food so that he would be ready when our names were called!  Ha!  Jen and I let the boys have a little "boy shooting time" while we finished up our meal and girl talk.  Then....we joined.  Oh my!

Jake trying to teach Jen about the gun, but it was so loud!
It was so loud!  Jennifer went straight in, grabbed the gun and began protecting her babies.  I was quite nervous about the experience, so Jennifer told me that she just imagines someone coming in her home and she needs to protect them.  And, she did a great job!  Don't ever try to attack her.  Not a good idea.  So....she and Jake took turns shooting and loading.   
"Liberating!" she says.
 
Jake's gigantic gun!
While I wiped the sweat from my hands and steadied my shaky hands.  I would hold the gun, freak out, and put it right back down.  Russ was quite patient.  (Probably because we were with Jennifer and Jake! Ha!)  I'm sure he was dying on the inside!  Finally, I pulled the trigger and shot with a scream!
A nervous wreck!
Once I shot a few, I became more and more comfortable.  I never was completely confident, though.  I had to work up my courage every single time I shot.  I would shoot a couple and let Russ have a turn.  I did decide to pull up my hair, put my big girl panties on, and deal with it though.  
Now, I'm getting down to business!
Jennifer and Jake were the first to run through their two boxes of ammo, since I took ten minutes of prep before each shot!  Ha!  They were good sports about watching us finish up!  Plus, Jake went back to retrieve more targets.  They had lots of bullet holes to admire!  Ha!
Sweet friends
Look at that aim!
Russ and I got busy finishing up our ammunition as the range began shutting down.  I was still a little slow and not interested in many shots in a row, so Russ finished up the box for us.  He hung his target upside down and shot the "bad guy's" face off pretty much!
Getting a little better at my aim.
Russ is a pro, however.
 We had such a fun date night with friends!  It was great to try something new and enjoy laughing, encouraging, and visiting with each other.  We have missed Jennifer and Jake very much since our move, and we are SO glad they came up for the night. 

Not bad!  






 I guess this was Jennifer's late birthday celebration!  Ha!  And what a celebration it was! We ended our evening with a late Target run and sitting around the apartment until midnight before they headed back home.  Thanks, Jen and Jake, for helping Russ get me out of my comfort zone and for being the great friends you are to us!  We love ya!

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am soooo impressed. Doc Mathis would be proud. :-)
mama