"I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers." Ephesians 1:16
We were honored to travel back home to celebrate my dad's 25th anniversary at First Baptist with a nice brunch in between services. For those of you who know anything about Baptist churches, you know that this is incredibly rare to pastor the same church for so many years. It was a very special day. These are special people...a special part of our family.
During our home study interviews, we discussed what church meant to us. My response was simple. Church, to me, serves as an extension of my family. I have been blessed to grow up in the same church all my life (well, the last 25 years of it) surrounded by Christian influences, mentors, and role models. I grew up feeling at "home" in my church and forever loved. This is how I feel about my hometown church. As a PK (preacher's kid), everyone knows you...even if you don't know them. They pray for you, watch out for you, and sometimes just watch you! Your life is under a microscope in a way. However aggravated I was during my teen years for the inability to sneak around, this is what I want for my children. I want my children to feel the love and protection of a church family growing up. This is what I was blessed to have and still have. I am so thankful for my upbringing and thankful that I was raised in this church. Never knowing or experiencing a "church fight" or split. I grew up in a unified, loving church family. Not everyone can say that.
Daddy preached on gratitude Sunday. How often we fail to recognize the ordinary miracles all around us. How a life filled with gratitude evokes happiness. It made me want to go back and read 1000 Gifts again. He spoke about gifts. True gifts. There are two ways to know if the gift is a real gift. First, it is attached to people. True gifts have people attached. A gift of themselves. I have a handmade rocker in our home that will soon be used to rock a sweet baby. Everytime I look at that rocker, I am reminded of Matt Keith, a special church member who crafted every detail of that rocker just for me. There is a person attached to that gift. It is special. Secondly, a real gift is worth the risk. Have you ever gone to a yard sale only to find a gift you had given to your friend now for sale for $1? A real gift is given...understanding the risk of rejection or that the person will not take it. A gift of time. A gift of love. A gift of a hug. A gift with much thought. A gift of an heirloom. All gifts with people attached and worth the risk.
Thinking about the gift God offered for us. His only Son. He gave His only Son to carry the sin of the world for us. A true gift. A gift with a person attached. A gift worth the risk. Imagine how He feels after offering us such a precious gift when we reject it, put it aside, never look at it or the gifts within that gift, or hide it. All we have to do is accept His gift to receive the gift of eternal life. We cannot earn that. There is nothing we can do that is good enough to earn a place in heaven. It is a gift of GRACE. Accept His gift, look at it, explore it, and give thanks in all things!
After the service, Taft stood up and told everyone to stay put. Ha! You would just have to know him! We did as he said. He began to talk about Daddy's 25 years and what it has meant to him and the church. Then he quoted Daddy's sermon about gifts. Very convenient. How true gifts have people attached and are worth the risk. He gave Daddy one condition...that he couldn't return the gift. He had to keep it. And, he let us know that there are people attached - our church family...those who love him and are grateful for his service.
Then, he led Mama and Daddy outside while we all watched the video feed that followed them out...
Please look at Mama's face...trying to block her view!
That was pretty good! A 1994 pickup decorated with "that other school" colors and paraphernalia. Oh, how proud those men were to play such a fun prank! Ha!
I mean, they worked hard on that!
Then, Taft explained that they would give Daddy a choice. He could choose that '94 truck from "that other school." Or he could accept the real gift. This is what pulled around the corner...
Speechless, his face says it all...
Again, this church is our family. They excitedly, proudly, and selflessly gave of themselves so that this gift could be possible. Such an incredibly generous act of love for their pastor. Of course, I was bawling my eyes out as we watched the video feed in the sanctuary. The congregation applauded and cheered as we watched. It was quite a moment. A loving moment that can only happen there. Probably could be imitated, but never duplicated. This was a gift from our "extended family."
A true gift.
Oh how thankful we are for you, FBC! As the PK elder of the church, I suppose I'll leave the younger PK's my "two cents." So...Elena, Brianna, Daniel, Hanna Joy, Jude, Peyton, and Presley...listen to the wise words of this elder PK. This church will love you forever and forgive you of anything. Sometimes they will even forgive your parents just because they love you so! Ha! Just make sure you love them back. Love them for me too!
And, what do you imagine this "first family" did after such a great Sunday?! Went for a ride of course! Did I mention this ride is a perfect fit? All 7 of us fit! Perfect for tailgating I'm thinking!
| Three Musketeers |

1 comment:
How WONDERFUL! Love the prank truck from TSUN, but I would have done the same thing your parents did! =)
Being Baptist myself, I agree with you, it's very nice to have a home church with the same pastor. You are blessed with a wonderful family and church family!
Post a Comment