St Louis Fourth

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Talk about falling off the wagon!  [Did I use that saying correctly?  Or did I even word it right?]  Basically, I just mean that I have not blogged here in over a month!  Absolutely nothing about our new Missouri life. You may not care.  I don't even know if I have readers left.  Ha!  Nonetheless, we have been so busy having fun! I want to record as much as I can for our own "family story" if for no other reason.  I have overused Facebook and Instagram since we moved blowing up everyone's newsfeed with pictures each day.  I guess that was my way of updating our family and friends in lieu of the blog.  But I'm gonna try to do better!


Backing up to July 4th weekend!


Russ and I don't know many people here still.  And when we first moved here, we really didn't know anyone except one sweet couple who invited us over for dinner one night.  I need to remember how kind that gesture is for new residents in an area.  Since we didn't have many connections, we didn't have plans for the Fourth.  So we decided to make our own!

We mentioned in passing that we should find fireworks somewhere.  Then I saw a special about Fair St. Louis on the news, and I talked Russ into taking our little family of three to Forest Park to enjoy the festivities.  This was the first year it was held at Forest Park, and there were lots of tutorials about where to park and how to get there.  They designated parking depending on where you were coming from.  And since we didn't know anything about anything, we followed the directions.  And rode the Metro.  Ummm...an experience in and of itself.  Situations like that certainly change when you are responsible for a precious little person. We survived and are still alive though.  Ha!


Once we got into the park, it was wonderful!  A beautiful day.  People everywhere.  We grabbed a corn dog for lunch and some Dippin' Dots for dessert while Millie Janalee enjoyed her little veggie pack and snacks.  We strolled the grounds before stopping at the Grand Basin to watch the Lake St. Louis Water Ski Club perform.  It was fascinating to watch, and Millie Janalee just pretty much wanted to jump in the water and ski with them.  Ha!  She loves the "warsh."





After the water show, we made our way over to one of the stages to enjoy some of the free concerts.  We laid our blanket out thinking Millie Janalee would fall asleep since it was past her bedtime.  I should have known that the excitement of her very first outdoor concert was too much to nap!  Russ may or may not have closed his eyes for awhile.  Ha!  We enjoyed hearing Mary Lambert perform.  But I was most excited about Gavin Degraw!  Yes please!  Millie Janalee shared my love for Gavin too.  She danced, waved her American flags, caught the attention of the camera man (of course), and played all over our blanket during his concert.  I loved it too!  It brought back memories from college when I saw him in concert for the first time.


We had already decided that we would catch the Metro back to our car before dark.  We didn't even consider doing anything after dark.  Next time, we will have to research the best way to get there.  Leaving, we were able to see just how insanely crowded the Metro had gotten.  Which, oddly, made me feel safer.  It was crazy!  Millie Janalee was asleep by this point.  Plus we were getting on with Cardinal fans heading to the ballgame too.  I never felt unsafe on the way back.

We arrived home in time for Russ to grill us a yummy dinner.  We immediately headed out to the fireworks in our own little town.  [We don't actually live in the St. Louis city limits.]  We drove 1/4 a mile from our home and lined the grass with the rest of the crowd to enjoy the Fourth of July fireworks.  It was a proper ending to a big St. Louis Fourth of July.


Our first St. Louis Fourth!
post signature

1 comment:

maureen said...

Missouri is lucky to have your sweet family! We have taken the train from here in Kansas City to St. Louis to go to the zoo and the Children's Museum. You will love it there. And of course, you are only a hop, skip & jump to Chicago!! Blessings to your family.