Three weeks of this dream have come and gone. This sweet thing will actually be FOUR WEEKS old tomorrow, so I better hurry and document week three. We are starting to get adjusted and into our own version of a routine. This little bug is teaching us more about himself day by day.
For one thing, he is quite the gassy little guy. He will kill me one day for saying this, but all parents will completely understand what this means. I sent Russ on an emergency formula change run last week, and he seems to show some improvement with Enfamil Gentlease. We have also been putting a full dropper of gas drops in each bottle to help him some. (With approval from our pediatrician of course) I'm not totally convinced that he doesn't have some reflux as well. There were a few days there that I thought he was colicky. But, now I'm pretty sure he has just been uncomfortable. He loves to be held. If he isn't held, he prefers to be swaddled or laying on his tummy. Swaddling is a comfort and security thing, but laying on his tummy is one thing that gives me reason to think he's been uncomfortable.
We are learning each other, and we are working hard to make sure he is healthy and happy. I scheduled his 8 week check-up and shots with our new pediatrician here. It is mid-December. This makes me happy to have completed before the holidays. We will be ready to get out and mingle a bit.
Three weeks of precious life with our first boy also means three weeks with a big sister in the house. Millie Janalee has been a precious...and sometimes typical...sister. She loves to make sure "Mifs" is okay and give him lots of kisses and hugs. She often walks over to him and says, "Carry you?" and tries to pick him up. I'm quite sure she would love to carry him around by the neck like she carries her babies. Ha! There have also been a minor injury or two, but no permanent damage done. Just a scratch and maybe a pat too hard on the head. Ahem. So there's lots of supervision going on around here.
My lap is often FULL of babies. I need to grow an extra lap. And I wouldn't have it any other way! The sweetest moments are those when Millie Janalee brings her baby and bottle up into my chair while I'm feeding Smith. Precious memories for this mama. Two pieces of my heart walking on Earth.
Counting my blessings.
1 comment:
When my twins were born Hudson was Baby A and he was 8 ounces larger than Beckham. Since they were preemies the doctors put them on Enfimil Enfacare which is higher calories so they would gain weight. Only Hudson didn't gain much weight. Within a few weeks he was smaller than Beckham by almost a pound. Something wasn't right!
I also noticed he was very gassy and when I would give him his bottle, he would almost immediately begin to poop!! (I know, TMI!) By the time he was 1 month old he would cry and act so uncomfortable after he ate. A friend suggested the gas drops and my pediatrician said go ahead, so we used those for about a week, and they did seem to help, but he still spent a lot of time crying and like Smith, I thought maybe collick.
But here is the thing, I have been a foster mother in the past, so I have literally taken care of 36 babies including my twins, and I have never had a collicky baby before this! What are the odds?! So I really felt like it had to be something more than just needing gas drops. Plus, he wasn't gaining weight as fast as his brother, and I was worried one would be a lot larger than the other. (Twin thing!)
So I decided to put Hudson on Enfamil ProSobee the soy based formula. And you know what, the gas cleared up within the first day! He still had a lot of smushy poop, but he seemed so much happier! And you could just tell the food was staying in him longer, so he was getting better nutrients from it. By the time the boys turned 3 months old Hudson was almost 8 ounces heavier than Beckham! At one year I put both boys on regular cows milk and the same thing happened, so after a week I put him on Lactaid and that is how he will probably have to stay. He still has yogurt and cheese, not a lot of it, and ice cream too! But I think we will always have to watch the lactose with him! The boys are basically the same size, but Hudson is much sturdier and Beckham is more lanky.
I wish you luck with Smith's feeding. Just trust your instinct and you will find what is best for him! Blessings!
Post a Comment