Oh, to be a Mom...

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

So many times I sit. Watching friends conceive. Well...I don't actually watch that part! But, you know what I mean. Anyway. Watching friends announce pregnancies, have babies (I don't watch that part either!), raise children, and enjoy all that comes with motherhood. And, I mean everything! Just take a look at what I mean...



So, I've seen this before. Apparently this bothers some people. But, I just think it's hilarious! Of course, it's exaggerated. But, how many times do you moms feel this way? Exhausted at the end of the day...out of breath. Probably from all the things you say during the day. Ha!

I immediately thought of my mom when I heard this. Umm...except the "take your vitamins" part. Ha! And it doesn't bother me at all! I look back and laugh at how hilarious our upbringing was. Because of my mom. Of course, my dad was funny too. But, I cannot even tell you how many times my mom told us that one day we would have kids that acted the same way...then we would know what she was talking about. Ha! Some of the funniest times at our house (I mean, when we are doubled over laughing) are when we are reliving ALL the many times we were in trouble. The wooden spoon. Hiding under the bed with little feet hanging out so she wouldn't find us (which made her laugh and forget we were in trouble). Running away, hands on back, yelling "Scoliosis! Scoliosis!" Putting layer after layer of underwear on for protection. As if my mom's spankings even hurt! Ha! (Sorry Mama! I'm only telling what Kristin and Dustin have told me. I ALWAYS felt the spankings. And, I learned my lesson EVERY time! Ha!) Those are always the funniest stories now. Man, we were a handful! A handful of three Smithites running, screaming, and quarreling all over the place at times. Don't act like you were perfect! You know that sisters and brothers do this. It's amazing that my parents didn't send us off. But, I think we turned out pretty good. Don't you? (Don't answer that!)

Anyhoo...as I watch this and think about my longing and praying for a little one of my own to "take my breath away," I thank God for whatever reason he has for giving me a little more time to breath. I will enjoy and take in these moments. And work on my exercise-induced asthma so my lungs can get conditioned and ready for motherhood.

So, as I go to bed. Just think about me taking deep deep breaths. Ahhhh. Now that was nice. Soon that will end. I just know it will. When? Only God knows. But, that day will come.

Until then...

Inhale. Exhale. Ahhh.

post signature

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember the struggle so well. The struggle to be happy for others who were pregnant while I was still not. On the one hand, you know you are supposed to be happy for them, but it doesn't mean that it is not a struggle. I pray for you often that your time will come and that it will come very soon. God's plans are not our plans but they are so much better than anything that we could plan.

Jordan said...

You are so funny! We got spanked with the wooden spoon also! My dad also had this belt from when my parents first got married and he worked at McDonalds. It said two all beef patties, specail sauce, lettuce, tomatoes on a sesame seed bun. We would get spanked with that! We would also double up with the underwear! So funny!!! You are going to be an awesome mommy one day!