Practice Makes Perfect...

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

So, after the bridesmaid's brunch, I drove all the family home and to the hotel. Russ and I began getting ready for the rehearsal. This required another shower as well because it was H-O-T outside, and I was gross! Ha! So we raced in the Johnsons' house, ran upstairs, showered, and began to dress and get ready again. This continued throughout the weekend. I had a total of two showers every day. I'm pretty sure this peeling on my legs is a result of it all. Ha ha! We were to be at the church at 5:00 for a special ceremony.

When Russ and I were married we also had a ceremony like this. A white bible ceremony. All of the immediate family was involved: my brother, sister, mom, dad, Russ's sister, his mom, his dad, and I think his brother couldn't be there. Each family member presents the couple with a flower. Each flower represents something different in a marriage. It was a very special ceremony for Russ and I, and I hope the same was true for Kristin and Lee. I presented the red rose symbolizing a romantic love for each other and a Christian love for others. Russ presented the white rose symbolizing unity. Rhonda presented a yellow rose symbolizing sincerity. Fred, Lee's dad, presented the greenery symbolizing Christian growth. Dustin presented the white carnation symbolizing purity of heart. Mama presented a red carnation that symbolized making decisions together. Daddy presented a ribbon, which Mama left at home (oops!) and the bible. It was a very sweet ceremony and most everyone had special words for the bride and groom or a scripture to share. Russ presented his flower with a special scripture about "the cord off three strands is not easily broken," Rhonda presented her flower with special words and scripture, Fred did the same, and I suppose Dustin wasn't as prepared because he presented his flower...and as he walked off, he turned as if to say "back at ya" and said, "Oh, and John 3:16." Ha ha! So much for being serious! You just never know with this family! Still, it was special in our own crazy way!

The bouquet and white bible

After the ceremony, people began to trickle in for the rehearsal. After all, practice makes perfect!

Dustin finalizing his rehearsal dinner toast

I think Kristin and Lee told everyone rehearsal started at 5:30 when it actually started at 6:00. Smart idea! I should have thought of that! So, the early ones got a chance to visit and enjoy the day. The directors, Mary Green and Jean Mathis, did a wonderful job of corraling this group. It was a productive and nice rehearsal.
Jenny and Jeff waiting for Grace, the flower girl, to make her debut

Scary combination! Garrett, Dustin, and Russ

Bennett and Grace with their bow bouquets

Cousins

The bride-to-be waiting patiently

Charli, a childhood friend of Kristin's, sang a special solo. It was emotional as we all listened. Well, either emotions or just exhaustion! Ha!

The rehearsal dinner was at Pizza Grocery, a nice restaurant in downtown Corinth. No, it's not a grocery store. Nor is it a pizza joint. Ha! As everyone arrived, we spent about 30 minutes mingling and talking about the big day.

Daddy and Bill - the officiants for the wedding

Marley, Emily Anne, Charli, Kristin, Ally, and Mary Anne

Lee and some of the ladies in his life

Lee and his dad

Russ and some Yayas - Yaya Teri, Junior Yaya Natalie, and Yaya Hope

Dustin and Mary

Kristin with her flower girl and junior bridesmaid

Yayas had their own table - bling and all!

The food at Pizza Grocery was very good. While we waited for the main course...don't fear! We found ways to keep ourselves busy. Or at least our table did!

Mugshots


Yes, it was a nice affair. And enjoyable too! I loved hearing everyone's toasts and funny stories. But, when my brother stood and began his toast straight faced and all with the beginning words, "You all may not know this, but I consider myself a bit of a loner. I tend to think of myself as a one man wolf pack. But when Megan brought Russ home, I knew he was one of my own. And my wolf pack, it grew by one. So there were two...so there was two of us in the pack. I...I was alone first in the pack, and then Russ joined in later. And 8 years ago, when Kristin brought Lee, I thought...wait a second, could it be. And now I know for sure. I just added 1 more guy to my wolf pack. Three of us wolves running around the desert together..." I about died! We all rolled on the floor! You would have to know my brother (first of all) and how serious he kept his face. And how perfect his timing was. And you may also have to remember this speech from the Hangover (which I can't recommend you watch). Hilarious! Last speech of the night, and it was great!

Bride and Groom to be

Me and my brother, the one man wolf pack!

Clancy, Leann, me, and Kristin

Kristin and Grace

Pops with his girls

Lee, Kristin, Mama, and Daddy

Sisters

This made it real, I guess. The wedding was officially on! It was a fun night! Thank you, Fred and Rhonda, for a wonderful meal!

2 comments:

audrey said...

I love the white bible ceremony idea. I've never heard of doing anything like that before. Looks like everyone had a wonderful time! And I love your brother's toast too! So funny.

Anonymous said...

Megan, I eagerly await each day to hear a little bit more about the wedding. WHAT a beautiful and fun family you have. I love the "white bible ceremony". That is so unique. Keep the story going!!! BTW, you all look absolutely gorgeous in your cute outfits!!! aland