Canton Flea Market

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

There are so many things I miss about teaching school full time. I miss my Van Winkle babies! Really, there are none like them. In fact, I received a call last week from the school asking me to "talk to" one of my former students who was recently placed in ISS. Mama Johnson got on that phone like nobody's business! One of my friends asked, "Did you really get on her?" Absolutely! She had NO business in ISS and knows better! The teacher that called said she was in tears by the end of the conversation. Oh, how I miss them! I wanted to reach through that phone and give her a big hug as soon as my rant was over. [Sigh.] I miss the teachers I worked with. I miss planning creative lessons. I miss construction paper, glue, and scissors. You see, in my classroom, there was very little "paperwork" completed. We might CUT a worksheet apart to glue it someplace...but very little pencil and paper. I digress. I miss so many things.

But, there is one thing that job never afforded me. It never allowed me the opportunity to make it a few miles over to Canton, MS for the Canton Flea Market! Oh my gracious! Our women's ministry gathered a small group together to head south for the big occasion. I have a feeling that this group will grow next year, because we HAD A BLAST!

This group was compiled of quite the random combination of women. Isn't that the best kind! I always have so much fun getting to know others that I would not have normally had time with. Such a joy these women were! We left town around 5 AM. Yes, I was sleepwalking! Ha! We stopped midway for breakfast and parked the car in downtown Canton by 9:30. We shopped til we dropped. If you have never been, I encourage you to do so. There were vendors EVERYWHERE! I mean, in neighborhoods I never thought vendors would be. I think I saw it all, but I sure didn't have enough time to truly see everything. Next time, we'll be needing to be there at least by 8:00! We dropped around 5 PM. On our way back, we laughed and laughed and talked and talked some more. We meditated on our purchases and talked about what we should've gone back for! Ha! For supper, we stopped in God's Country, Starkville, to eat at Mugshots downtown.


We arrived home past most of the women's bedtimes I believe! Ha! But, it was worth it! What a fun day at the Canton Flea Market!

1 comment:

Roan said...

Fun! Fun! I went to the Canton Flea Market one time...before Olivia was born. It was madness.
Glad you had a good time!