CHS Homecoming

Thursday, October 14, 2010

One of the great things about being back in my hometown is that I get to take part in all the hometown traditions that I love and remember growing up! I don't care what you say...no one honors tradition more than a good ole small town! One of those traditions is our Corinth Homecoming Parade each year.

The weeks before Homecoming, the high school students spend time voting for a maid for each grade, a queen, and each club votes a senior sweetheart. This is always a big deal for the senior girls. And it can be quite stressful if you let it! The reason? For the parade! Each maid will have a float in the parade. The students can all help put the floats together during Homecoming week, and it was always so much fun to see everyone and work on the floats...parents, teachers, and students. The sweethearts all decorate their own car to ride in the parade. This is usually done in garages all around the downtown area. Each sweetheart has to call around and find a place to store her car while she works on it. The queen, of course, wears the crown and rides on her own float at the very end of the parade. Aren't you glad I explained all this to you! Ha!

This was, once again, Jennifer's first Homecoming experience. She had no idea what a big deal it was. So, I enlightened her. Before the parade, we walked around downtown to see all the cars putting finishing touches on the cars and getting ready to be judged. Oh yeah, the cars and floats are judged. I should mention that.

Hanna, Grace, me, and Jennifer....by the way, I look a bit awkward because I was trying to keep Farley at bay on that leash!

Hanna with some CHS cheerleaders

I brought Farley along. He got quite the workout doing all that walking. He needs the exercise anyway! We all do! Ha! He was so glad when we found our spot on the parade route so he could just lay down and relax!

Grace and Farley

Once the police and fire engine sirens sounded as they drove down the street, it was time to take our places and wait for the parade to begin...

Jen, Jude, and Jake

To give you an idea of what our tradition looks like and how much time goes into these cars and floats, I took a few pics...

Environmental Club Sweetheart

Sophomore Maid - "Sailing to Victory"

Junior Maid - "Painting a Victory"

the back...I LOVED the War Paint spills!

C Club Sweetheart - "Cage the Cardinals"

Notice the details on the back...

Student Council Sweetheart - "Serving the Warriors"

the back

Now, let me think...there were maybe 20-30 clubs, a band, four maids, and a queen. From start to finish the parade lasted about 10 minutes! I wish there was a way to make all this hard work last longer. At the end of the parade, the cars and floats parked at the courthouse where there was a pep rally.

It was a gorgeous day for a beautiful hometown tradition!

2 comments:

*Kelly* said...

Megan, what a great homecoming party!! Love all the bright floats. I live 2,000 miles away from my hometown/school so I get to live through everyone else. Thanks so much. BTW---love your blog.

Joy said...

I found your blog through Abby Dennis (she is one of my best friends) and I love it. I'm going to post your button on my blog. I graduated from CHS but it's not the same one as your. LOL Clarkdale High School in Lauderdale County. Anyway, I have never seen such amazing high school floats for a homecoming! Thanks for posting and I can't wait to read more of your blogs.