To Granmomma and Pop's House We Go

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Millie Janalee has crammed so much into her short little 5 1/2 weeks of life!  But, one thing we had not done...until now was visit Granmomma and Pop's house for a weekend.  Russ and I have been working on updating our life insurance since Millie Janalee's arrival, and we made an appointment with a lawyer Friday morning to make a will.  I feel so "together" right now.  Even if that feeling doesn't last long.  Ha!  We went ahead and named the executors, trustees, and guardians if something were to happen to both of us.  Then, we also went ahead and did a Power of Attorney for each other.  It was so easy to do and took less than 20 minutes.  We will go back on Friday to sign the final draft.  We joked that we would try not to walk in front of a car until it was signed.  Obviously, we are not looking to use any of that paperwork...but it's there if we need it.

I digress.

In preparation for our big debut at Granmomma and Pop's, Millie Janalee got all cleaned up and smelling fresh the night before.  I asked Russ to get the water ready, and he looked at me like..."Huh?"  I realized that I had always done the bathing, and he probably didn't know what to do.  I told him it was a good skill to learn in the event I wasn't here, and he agreed as long as I stood behind him to talk him through it.  Ha!


So, Daddy gave Millie Janalee a bath for the first time and he did a wonderful job!  I love watching Russ with our daughter.  He is always so gentle and sweet with her!  I always knew he would be a great daddy...and HE IS!


We had planned to introduce Millie Janalee to Russ's grandmother, but she has been in the hospital for (what they think may be) shingles.  Soooo...we opted out of that!  We spent Wednesday night just hanging around.  Russ's mom wasn't feeling well either, so she kept her distance and went to bed early.  Russ's dad was at the hospital with Munu until later.  So, we enjoyed a low key night waiting for Pop to get back.

A little "mommy and me" time
Sweet girl!
After visiting with Pop for a little while...and calming down our little fussy, gassy girl, we went upstairs to get settled in for the night.  I think Millie Janalee loves her room at Granmomma and Pop's house.  We laid on the bed to kick around a little while before putting our pajamas on.  I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of Millie Janalee in her little cradle.  I think all the children have used it, and it is so precious.  Millie Janalee slept very well in Granmomma's cradle.  I'll try to remember to take a picture next time.

Pre-bedtime play
Ready for bed!
Every morning, we woke up to Aunt Jenny waiting on us in the kitchen.  She told her gym partner that she just couldn't workout while Millie Janalee was here because she didn't want to get sweat on the baby.  Good excuse!  Ha!  Aunt Jenny couldn't wait to get her hands on Miss Millie Janalee each morning at the breakfast table.  She stayed most of the time we were in town.


Jenny, Russ, Millie Janalee, and I went to lunch Thursday at Island Chill, a newer restaurant downtown.  It was very good, the atmosphere was great, and it was perfect for a sleeping 5 week old.  Thursday night, I requested a special meal from Granmomma.  The Mansel clan joined us for baked ham, boiled okra, green beans, squash, peas, cornbread, fruit, and banana pudding!  I hope I didn't leave anything out!  It was A-MA-ZING!  We enjoyed the rest of the day and night playing with the newest cousin.  This is what our social life consists of now...staring at this pretty girl!  I LOVE IT!

Grace holding her newest baby cousin
Elle loves Millie Janalee!
Uncle Jeff hasn't seen her since the placement ceremony.
Hanging out with my little family
After supper, Millie Janalee got dressed for bed...and more playtime!

Elle, Millie Janalee, and Grace
Granmomma and Pop with Millie Janalee
The oldest cousin with the youngest cousin...Wow!
Millie Janalee just eats up all the attention!  She saves all her fussing for Russ and me.  And that's fine with me!  She is such a social baby.  Sweet girl!  We worked so hard to get her to smile at us while we played.  She's almost there!  She made a few new noises Friday, and I fully expect her to be smiling at us in no time!


It was certainly worth our trip...

"over the bridges and through the intersections...to Granmomma and Pop's we go!"
(my rendition of "Over the River and Through the Woods")
post signature

No comments: