College World Series

Friday, June 21, 2013

In case you haven't heard, the College World Series is going on.  And my Mississippi State Bulldogs are undefeated in the series so far!  It's pretty exciting around here!  Even Millie Janalee can't contain her giddiness over our victories...

My mom had something special planned for my dad this Father's Day.  And since her plan involved Sunday afternoon, all the Smithites gathered at Mama and Daddy's last Friday for lunch.  And we didn't even go out to eat!  Ha!  My mom cooked a delicious lunch of minute steaks, green beans, brown rice, and banana pudding.  I feel like I'm leaving something out.  Oh, the rolls!  Regardless, it was divine!  Dustin even asked, "What's the deal here?"  Haha!


The food took a little longer than expected to cook [insert failure to turn on the oven] (in her defense, the knobs are messed up and it's hard to tell when it's on and when it's not), so we decided to go ahead and exchange gifts.  Mama gave Daddy hers first.  Pawpaw and Millie Janalee were out back swinging, so we gathered around the swing.


Yep.  That's right.  What you see there is the College World Series schedule and tickets to games 5-12!  Also in the packet were hospitality bracelets, club level seats to one of the games, hotel reservations across the street from the stadium, spending money, earplugs for Dustin (since he's rooming with Daddy), ibuprofen, sunscreen, and more!  My mother gave Daddy (and Dustin) a week long trip to the College World Series!

I was and still am so jealous!


I'd say Daddy was pretty happy too based on his Facebook status Monday morning (from Omaha):
Looking out my hotel window and immediately across the street I see TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, home of the CWS. Boy, I married well! Thank you, Susan for the best Father's Day gift ever...except of course for the gift of becoming a father three times! Looking forward to a week with my favorite son! Love you!
After the gift that kept on giving continued to sink in, the rest of us grabbed our gifts for Daddy.  Millie Janalee gave her favorite gift to give grandparents...a picture of herself.  She loves a good self portrait!  Ha!



Kristin and Lee gave Daddy a great State hat.  Perfect for those sunny afternoon baseball games.  Which just so happen to be at the COLLEGE WORLD SERIES!

I'm still jealous.  Just sayin'.


So Sunday afternoon after lunch, Daddy and Dustin packed up and headed off toward Nashville for a trip of a lifetime.  Millie Janalee was super excited about seeing the College World Series Monday night when State played Indiana! 

Then I had to tell her.  Pawpaw and Uncie Bucket went to the College World Series without us.  We had to watch it on television.  This was her response...

"Are you kidding me?!"
Eventually, I coaxed her to go ahead and cheer on our Dawgs from home.  She got into it, and she learned that our players can still hear us shout, yell, and cheer from our living rooms.  I mean, don't you all know that?  Have you never yelled at the players through your television screen?!

Getting warmed up.
"Let's GO DAWGS!  Time to rally!"
The game was a nail biter.  Ending in a WIN!  It took a good while for me to wind down and check my blood pressure.  Russ had to leave to go workout afterward.  Millie Janalee actually didn't make it to the end of the game, but I know she dreamed of a sweet victory the entire night.


So, here we are.  Game 11 tomorrow at 2:00.  Daddy and Dustin will be seated behind the dugout on row 18...even with first base.  Me?  I'll be on the floor with Millie Janalee cheering through the television.  Hoping for and believing in a victory!

And, if we win?  I'm just saying that it isn't out of the question for this whole big crew to pack our maroon, load up, and head to Nebraska for the finals!
post signature

3 comments:

Erin said...

I'm sooooo jealous. Read my post today and you'll understand. One day I will go. If you go this year, call me and I'll stow away in your suitcase!

Joy said...

I'm ready for the game. And loving that your dad and brother and there enjoying the games!!! I hope their taking really good pictures! =)

Unknown said...

I SO wish I were there right now!!! Going to be an awesome week! Hail State!