Gettin' Serious About our Beach Time {Last Day}

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Millie Janalee is gettin' serous about her beach style!
Everyone knows that the dreaded "last beach day" always comes way too soon.  And, when the dreaded last day does come...it's serious!  Like, get down to the beach as soon as the sun comes up and don't leave til the sun goes down and bring all the fun leftover from the week and eat all the leftover food and groceries and have the most fun you possibly can.

You got all that?

Gettin' serious about the fun...
...and serious about the sun!
We all gathered our belongings for the day and headed down.  Susu tagged along early with me, because...well...Russ was rarely ready to head down when I was.  I may or may not have been guilty of rushing him a day or two...or all five.  It was good to have a second person to hold Millie Janalee while I set up her official area. 

Susu and Millie Janalee
Once she was set up, even Millie Janalee got serious about her "last beach day."  I'm telling you.  The girl is made after my own heart!  God knew we needed each other.  She's my bestest friend for real!  I have two.  Russ is the other one.  But, since Millie Janalee is often cuter than him...she wins.

"Bring on the last day, Mama!  I'm ready!"
Millie Janalee's new beach buddy came by to visit her...and brought her the cutest gift!  A monogrammed pocket tee!  It's the cutest little thing ever!  How did she know what size we wore?  Emma Kate and Millie Janalee posed in their matching shirts for the photo-crazed mother and grandmother.  Ha!  I have visions of these pictures year after year.  They are just the cutest little beach buddies ever!

Millie Janalee was chewing on Emma Kate's toy.  We obviously need to work on sharing.
I love this picture!  Emma Kate was using Millie Janalee as a prop to stand up.  Ha!
Lucky for Emma Kate, she's able to walk away when things get a little too crazy.  Poor Millie Janalee didn't have a choice.  And since her big girl friend wasn't there to warn her, she ended up eating sand for the first time.  Ha!

She was not a fan!

"Oh. My. Word!  What have I done?!"
Mama talked with the hotel administration (as she does every year) to make sure our rooms are booked for the following year...on the correct week.  She learned that customers staying at the Landmark are second and third generation families who come year after year.  If you have never experienced a summer vacation like this, I hope you are able to soon.  It makes our summer beach trips a home away from home.  When our family goes to the beach, we feel like we're coming "home."  Seeing friends summer after summer, and watching families grow.  Creating memories that become a part of us as we grow.  The roles are changing, but the memories keep coming!  I'm so thankful Millie Janalee will get to experience the same summer fun that we did as children!

"The kids" all grown up: Clancy, Dustin, me, Kristin, and Kadie (Emma Kate's mama)
Dustin and Russ began discussing their next sand sculpture adventure as soon as they got down to the beach.  Friday was the big sand sculpture contest for The Landmark.  Russ had apparently been doing research since the day before.  [Imagine that.]  He decided he wanted to create another sea turtle.  But, he wanted it to look more realistic.  He and Dustin looked over some Google images before beginning on their SERIOUS mission.

Setting the foundation...watering the sand with Millie Janalee's little watering can.
Jack spent a few days on the beach taking Photography 101 from Dr. Russ.  He practiced his new skills as the guys worked hard on their masterpiece.

Jack getting ready to take pics of that little girl when she arrives!
I was able to spend some time with my eyes closed enjoying the sun.  Millie Janalee must've been napping with Susu, and I knew Russ was gonna be busy until the judging at 2:00.  Next thing I know...I open my eyes to see this...

Everyone chipping in!
There were always distractions.  Some welcome and some not.  The unwelcome distraction came in the form of a baseball to the mouth.  A father and son were throwing the ball back and forth very close to the sand project.  Dustin had already been watching them and wondering why they didn't choose to throw the ball behind the chairs where there were fewer people.  It wasn't long until that ball hit Russ right in the mouth.  We all just breathed a sigh of relief that it didn't hit the sea turtle!  Ha!  Russ was okay, by the way.  Just a little flustered as his concentration was broken no doubt.

Kadie and her husband stopped by to visit while Emma Kate played with Millie Janalee.
The finished product was quite pristine.  It was an accurate portrayal of a sea turtle who had laid eggs.  By the way, the eggs were created using Millie Janalee's Easter egg that Uncie Bucket may have taken directly from her little hands.  He's teaching her how to share I think.  The next challenge was waiting until judging.  And making sure no child came running through the work of art. 

And so they named guards for the sand sculpture.

The proud creators of "Crabby Tortoise" (named by Jack)
Jack and Dustin guarding the "Crabby Tortoise"
Millie Janalee even took a turn!
While we waited on the judging to commence, we kept a lookout for the official judges.  Sheila and I went on a little walk checking out the competition.  There were some pretty impressive sand sculputres: alligators, aquariums, sharks, castles, and more.  The family next to us used popcorn to decorate their starfish sculpture.  We laughed.  Wanna know why?  Because it only took a few minutes for the seagulls to find it!  And dive into the starfish grabbing popcorn every few minutes.  Seeing those women jump up running and spraying the birds with water was hilarious!

Susu, Pawpaw, and Millie Janalee
I am so happy that Millie Janalee had such a fun time on the beach!  She was just the happiest little thing.  Of course, she crashed at night (and woke up at the crack of dawn each morning), but she had a ball during her waking hours.  Splashing in clean water, playing with toys, jumping waves with Mama and Daddy, getting spoiled by grandparents and aunts and uncles, being the center of attention, and napping as long and as often as she wanted.

What could be better?

"I'm a happy girl!"
Millie Janalee loves She She
Bringing Millie Janalee to the beach was everything I hoped it would be and more!  My little family.  A new generation of families beginning.  New memories created and more to come! 

My little Party of Three with the winning sand sculpture!
Did I mention that the "Crabby Tortoise" won FIRST PLACE in the adult division!?  They did!  The prize was two free smoothies in a souvenir cup.  I know.  You're so jealous!  Now that I think about it, I don't even think Russ and Dustin ever redeemed their prize.


As the sun set on our "last beach day", Russ pulled our two ton wagon up to the condo one last time.  The heavy loads, meticulous packing, and time spent getting ready each morning was well worth the memories made.

Until next year...
post signature

1 comment:

maureen said...

So glad you had such a great time at the beach! Love all of the cutie pie beachwear Millie Jannalee wore! She should have won 1st Place for the cutest Beach Baby ever!

On a side note, I just love the big beach wagon you show Russ pulling in the last picture! It is awesome! Is that from this year's catalog? I think I need one of those!