Thankful for our Pumpkin Patch Days

Saturday, November 16, 2013


During the years of waiting, I dreamed of my Pumpkin Patch Days.  It seems that Fall and the holidays are the most difficult times for those of us who waited and are still waiting to grow our families.  There are always pictures of little ones at the pumpkin patch and dressed up in Halloween costumes and having pictures with Santa.

So believe me when I say that I do not take my Pumpkin Patch Days for granted.  It is especially important to me that we visit a pumpkin patch...because of the years and months and days I dreamed of my turn.  I am thankful.


The day Millie Janalee and I returned from meeting baby Selah Grace, we changed clothes and joined Russ for the local pumpkin patch.  Russ's schedule, in case you didn't already know, is always packed full.  So when we have the opportunity for a family day...we jump at it!


It was a beautiful day with a slight chill in the air.  The third Fall outfit I put on Millie Janalee finally fit.  The others I had to have altered or put back for next year!  Ha! Russ and I had never been to this pumpkin patch, but it was full of activities for little ones and families.  Including a petting zoo.  Maybe you remember how much Millie Janalee loves a good petting zoo.  Ha!


We let her walk around a good bit on her own around the barn and watching the animals and birds pacing around.  She was so very happy to scuffle those little feet around in the loose dirt.  She was also quite a hit with the passers by.  She loves to wave and talk to people as they walk past.  I think she will make friends easily.



At the end of the petting zoo walkway was a little train that rides around a circle in a field.  So of course we loaded up!  I think she enjoyed it, even though this picture looks like she didn't.  We'll just say it was because she didn't want to get off.  Ha!  She waved at the families waiting in line as we passed by.  And they waved back.  Naturally.


Millie Janalee loves her Daddy!  You can see why I love days we are able to enjoy as a family of three.  When Russ gets home from work, Millie Janalee's little face just lights up.  She likes to follow him around at night, and when he gets ready to take Farley out for a walk...it's quite tragic if she doesn't get to tag along.  Ha!  I think it's fair to say that she enjoyed her time with her Daddy at the pumpkin patch.



Some might think that it's no big deal since I'm with her 24/7.  You could not be more wrong!  It's funny really.  I find myself glued to every move and sound she makes.  It all fascinates me.  Like I'm experiencing the world for the first time with her...through her eyes.  This girl is so fun-loving and frankly my little bestie!  I love her so!

I especially love spending days like these with her.




After visiting all the animals in the petting zoo and riding the train, we ventured over to a field where the hay maze was.  We didn't actually do much exploring the little maze.  Instead we picked grass in the same spot for some time.  It's the little things after all.


Of course we also made time for fun on the playground.  This was Millie Janalee's first experience on a public swingset.  She was unsure at first, but it didn't take long for her tickle box to turn over.  It began getting a little too chilly for us to have Millie Janalee out without her legs covered, so we decided to start shutting our pumpkin patch trip down.


You can't leave the pumpkin patch without a pumpkin!  Millie Janalee spent lots of time meticulously touching and browsing all the options she could reach.  We waited for her to find a pumpkin she liked...which was all of them.  But we also knew she could only physically pick up a small one.  So we let her curiosity run wild for a while.




Before long, she found the bin of tiny pumpkins.  I would love to say that it was a dreamy picture of my 15 month old picking a pumpkin, walking over to me to signal her decision, and we happily walked away ready to paint or carve said pumpkin.

But that would be a lie.




What actually happened was she thought the bin of pumpkins was a toy chest full of balls.  She picked them up and threw them down, then reached back in for more.  When we started picking up the pumpkins and told her she could only choose one...she was not happy.  We managed to walk her away from the tiny pumpkin bin, but she wasn't finished playing with her new "orange ball."

Before we left, I insisted on taking pictures on the pumpkin wagon.  First my turn, then Russ's.  You can see from the pictures how her mood progressed as she realized we were leaving the fun of the day.



See.  Even when she's crying, she's precious!  Or is that just what all mothers say?

No matter how we ended, I am so thankful for my own "pumpkin patch days"!  Oh how I waited for them!  If you are still waiting on yours, it's coming!
post signature

2 comments:

Leslie said...

What a sweet post! My parents have a pumpkin patch and it's heart wrenching to watch all the families pick out pumpkins with their little ones when you don't have a family of your own. Here's hoping that changes soon!

The Tale of Three Ps said...

How precious is that outfit?!?! Found you through Kelly~