Hometown Traditions

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Russ went to a bachelor party this weekend in Biloxi, and since I don't know...nor do I want to know what went down there...I decided to take my happy tail to Corinth for the weekend. Why? To enjoy one of my favorite senior traditions - Follies! And it was GREAT!

Well...when you co me from a small town like we do, there are just some traditions that never die. Traditions. Everyone has traditions. Well, one may think that is the case. Let me tell you exactly what I'm referring to here. Becoming a senior at Corinth High School is and was a very exciting time! Because of traditions. For example, the entire class starts the senior year off with an entire night together. We all start with a dinner at one of the senior homes. We, then, all continue our night at additional parties throughout the night: skating parties, pool parties, dance parties, etc. Then, around 2 am, we ALL meet back again at the "Warrior Bridge" to spray paint the entire thing. Don't worry! We were supervised by police...and MANY parents trying to take advantage of every photo opportunity! Immediately after painting the bridge with our entire class of stinky, dirty, sleep-deprived classmates, we ALL head over to the senior breakfast at another senior home. Even more parents meet us there to see how the all-night party treated us! It is then, that seniors at CHS become infused with even more energy than they started with. Because, after breakfast, it is time to ride in to school! Nope. Not in cars. Not in a caravan. We all (the entire senior class) loads into the bed of some major truck/18-wheeler type thing and ride to school, escorted by police - passing the junior high, Shiloh Rd., and Harper Rd. before entering the school campus where the rest of the CHS student body, parents, friends, and family are waiting to watch us "ride in." It's quite the experience!

And, that's only for the first day of school! Throughout the senior year of Corinth High School you will find many traditions held by seniors. These traditions had a beginning, although I don't have a clue how long ago they started. Beauty Revue, Homecoming Sweethearts, senior parties, etc.

Then, it's time for the end. One of my personal favorite traditions of CHS is Follies. Follies is a performance of sorts that the senior class puts on for the community, friends, family, etc. It is held three nights and is sold out every night. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, I'm letting you see one of my parts in Follies 2002! I cannot believe I am about to embarrass myself in such a way! But, I figure, if you've been reading my blog...I have already embarrassed myself plenty! Let me just make this disclaimer: I DO realize that I am NOT a singer! I DO realize that I seemed to be much "spunkier" and 20 pounds LIGHTER than I am now! So, please...try not to judge the performance. Oh...and you will notice that obviously my breathing was quite an issue back then too! I seem out of breath the whole time. It must have been walking down those stairs! Haha! Just understand the whole Follies concept. Ha!





Now, I realize that you are still recovering from that show! But, I have one more clip to help you understand the fun of the whole thing. This is from Dustin's follies (5 years later). Dustin and his friends worked this to perfection! It was a highlight of their follies. Note: There were MANY highlights of their follies! Dustin is the one in the front passenger seat. The one with the wild arms. So, I now present the McDonald's Drive-thru....

Any more questions? Hometown traditions. How could I not return for that!?

post signature

3 comments:

Jordan said...

That was so hilarious! I want to see more of our year!! I wish I could have been there! Makes me sad!

Roan said...

You're not too old for to try out for American Idol are you???

That was too funny! Did I see Katy and Season in that video?

Anonymous said...

Wow you're brave. Braver than I am!!
And those were some pretty killer dance moves by your backup team.