Although I have started running, I am not ready for a 10K! I will certainly be participating next year, though! So, I was the official race babysitter. Roan asked me back in November to keep her two youngest (she was thinking ahead!). By the time everyone got to the Johnsons', I had a total of four kids. Thanks to Will for helping me walk downtown from the house with stroller, four tote bags, and four kids. We had a blast! The kids were so good, and we kept so busy that we didn't even realize how much time had passed.
Once we found a bench near the starting line - where I was sure no one would spot Mama or Daddy - the kids had donuts for breakfast. For sticky hands, I told them to rub the wet park bench for water to rinse their hands. It rained all morning until start time. I thought it was a very inventive idea! Ha!
There were over 800 runners in the Coke race this year. It is so much fun to watch them all take off at the same time....like a stampede. I caught myself moving further and further away for fear of being trampled!
There were over 800 runners in the Coke race this year. It is so much fun to watch them all take off at the same time....like a stampede. I caught myself moving further and further away for fear of being trampled!
Once the race had begun, I took the kids to KC's (a downtown coffee shop) for drinks to wash down the donuts. John Parker ordered himself a Coke since this was the Coke race. Great choice! The girls both ordered hot chocolate. By the time we got everyone into KC's and ordered and seated with drinks and potty breaks, I was sweating. I had no idea how Leah and Grace could drink such a hot drink! Ha!
Friday night, I stayed up to make signs for all the Johnson runners. I was the only one not running. My mom put them up in her yard for me. I think my parents' house is around mile 2 or 3. So, I thought that would be a welcome surprise for everyone. Unfortunately, no one saw them but Russ, Jenny, and Lynn! Don't worry! I drove Jimmy and Roan by the house after the race to admire my artwork! It's the thought that counts, right?
It only took a mere 45 minutes to welcome the first Johnson across the finish line! Wow! 6.2 miles in 45 minutes! Julie was the first one across, closely followed by Jimmy. Olivia was next in the family. Clay and Roan came in next. And, Russ was close behind Roan. Jenny walked/ran and came in at about 1 hour 20 minutes. That was great for her! Next year, Jenny and I plan to blow that time out of the water! Everyone did great, and we were so excited to cheer them on! Check out Roan's blog for exact times.
After the race, we all walked back to the Johnsons' where we enjoyed a fun, relaxing afternoon. The kids played all day. I needed to get MY run in for the day, so Roan took the kids to the park to play while I ran. Jenny decided that she would run/walk with me! She stopped after mile 2, but that makes a total of 8.2 miles in one day! And, per her request, I am "PUTTING IT ON THE BLOG!!" Thanks for the company Jenny! I hope you can move today! Ha!
After my run and the funeral, Jan and Roan prepared hamburgers and sides for a fantastic summer supper!
We had a great weekend with family! It is so much fun when everyone runs together! I can't wait to run next year!
6 comments:
Loved this post! I laughed outloud at that picture of Clay and Sam! And thanks for giving Jenny a great big shout out! That cracks me up everytime I think about it! :)
I'm about to email you.
Thanks again for letting John Parker hang out with you and also for buying him a "COKE" since it was the Coke race! Too funny! Can't wait to next year!
We had so much fun! I'm sorry that we didn't see the signs but the picute is beautiful! I gave you an award on my blog!
MAKING THE SIGNS WAS SO SWEET AND THOUGHFUL OF YOU! THEY'LL HAVE TO MAKE YOU ONE NEXT YEAR~
RUN MEGAN RUN!!!
HAPPY DAY TO YOU.
megan, email me at kellie.berry@gmail.com if you don't mind! i'm working on a blog for a friend and wanted to know if you did yours and a few questions about some of the content. Ryan and i wanted to go to the coke classic but it was too late. he's fascinated by corinth...don't think he's ever been. hope you guys are doing well!
Post a Comment