Birthmother (burth-muhth'-er) n. a person's mother related biologically rather than by adoption.
During this month that we place an emphasis on thanksgiving, I want to make it very clear how thankful Russ and I are for birthmothers. Not just the woman who is or will carry our child...but all birthmothers. Have you ever stopped and considered for a moment what it must be like for birthmothers? No? Well, let's take a few seconds to consider a birthmother's journey.
Every case is certainly unique, but every birthmother shares one decision (or more). These women, who for whatever reason, make a huge decision. Their first decision is one of LIFE. These women are courageous enough to choose life for the little person growing inside of them. I cannot tell you how much respect I have for these women and their support systems who encourage and support throughout this selfless decision. Birthmothers have made a life-changing decision to carry this baby for nine months. These women will feel each time that child kicks, moves, squirms, and hiccups. These women will grow, over time, out of their regular clothes. These women will face gossip and ridicule. These women will make a plan for their child. These women...really not much different from you and I. Some of these women made one mistake, and it changed their lives. Have you ever made a mistake? I'm guessing the answer is yes. Then there are women with a house full of children, and she is barely able to care for them financially...much less another one coming into the home. Some women make a decision to protect their child from the environment they are living in. Some women have become pregnant through a tragic event such as rape or incest. Each of these women make a decision. Make a plan. For their child. This child that may share their eye color, hair color, nose, and attitude. Can you imagine that decision?
If these women chose the "easy" route simply to "get rid of" this child, I'm quite sure they would not have chosen LIFE. These women, expectant mothers, make SELFLESS decisions to make a future plan for their child to live a life they could not provide for one reason or another.
More women, today, make a second decision. Most adoptions, now, are open to some degree. These women look through profiles, books, letters, and videos to choose the family for their child. Can you imagine that decision? Brantley, at For This Journey We're On, recently created her will for their sweet daughter. While trying to make the decision about who would be best left to care for their child in the event of their death, she couldn't help but think about her daughter's first mother and the decision she made to choose a family for her child. Possibly never to see her again. Sometimes to get updates through the mail. At times, to visit.
Let's take a moment to give thanks for these selfless, courageous, and beautiful women who not only make a selfless decision to give LIFE and face the difficult decision of choosing just the right family, but let's take a moment to give thanks for these women who give HOPE to so many families waiting to love on their children forever. God truly can work all things to the good of those who love Him. I want to shout it from the rooftops! I'm so incredibly grateful for these women and the decisions they make. Not only to provide a future for their child, but to offer such a gift to families who long for a child from the deepest parts of their heart. Let's take a moment to give thanks for these women who lie in their hospital beds after hours of labor and face the pain of knowing she will soon hand her precious newborn over to someone else. Because of her love for her child. Such a gift. Such a sacrifice. Such a blessing.
Take a moment, if you know a birthmother, to thank her for her sacrifice, selflessness, and love for her child. Thank her for me. It is because of women like her that I have hope. If you don't know a birthmother, maybe you could take time to thank God for birthmothers and pray for those facing these decisions right now. Pray for God to comfort them, guide them, and give a peace to them as they journey this road. I know I pray those things over our birthmother. I truly want God's will, because I know it's the best place to be (even though it can be hard). I pray that our birthmother allow God to guide her as she chooses a family for her child. I pray that she feel peace with her decision. And, I pray that she feel comforted by Him and those around her. Take a moment and pray the same.
With Amendment 26 looming around the corner, we have raised much public discussion on the topic of abortion. One lady made a great statement that if we mothers and families will band together to support these women facing these decisions and glorify the adoption option, abortion might become less of an issue in our country. It seems that so many fail to recognize the honorable role birthmothers play in the life of each adopted family. Recognize that today, and give thanks.
7 comments:
Great post! I think about our daughter's birthmother all the time and how courageous she was to make that decision at 14 years old. I'm so thankful for her!
Beautiful post, totally made me cry!
I'm hopping over from Kelly's Korner's non-mom post. I'm also praying for more, and am excited to follow your adoption journey.
Found you through Kelly's Korner blog link up, and am your newest follower! I see that you love MS State football--I'm a die-hard Ole Miss fan, but I think we'll get along just fine :) I love this post, and I'm looking forward to following your adoption story...sending up prayers for you and your little family!
Love this -- I hope people don't lose sight of these mommies while everyone's discussing the best way to save the babies. The moms need some love, too. Thanks so much for reminding everyone of this.
What a lovely post! Very pleased to meet you.
Cxx
PS Found you through Kelly's bloghop.
Post a Comment