Omaha Zoo Day and the Road FROM Omaha

Sunday, July 7, 2013


I realize everyone is posting their Fourth of July events, but I'm behind.  You'll have to bare with me as I try to finish sharing about our Omaha trip.  For those of you who don't know, the College World Series Finals are the best two out of three.  Meaning...three games.  Since we lost the first two, there was obviously no reason for a third game.  Mama was able to receive a refund for our tickets, and we took advantage of our extra hotel night and stayed around Omaha.  Wednesday morning, the big and little kids loaded up for the Omaha zoo.


Truth be told, it was Lee's idea.  Get this people!  Lee has NEVER been to a zoo before.  [Gasp.]  Now, he did go with us to Disney World several years back and rode the safari ride through the Animal Kingdom.  But that does not count as a trip to the zoo.

Anyway.

He was most excited about seeing the gorillas and monkeys.  A little back story: The day we were at Animal Kingdom, we were all gathered around the crowd near the gorillas.  We heard a worker yell out, "Excuse me sir.  Please do not provoke the gorillas!"  When we looked around to see who in the world was messing with the animals, we saw it.  Lee was standing there alone.  Meaning our family was nowhere near him.  He was just standing there waving at the gorilla.  His new friend.  Hys-ter-i-cal!  We still laugh about that to this day!

Obviously, Lee loves gorillas.

Kristin and Lee at the gorilla exhibit
For any gorilla lovers, the Omaha zoo is certainly for you!  There is a huge gorilla exhibit and tons of monkeys everywhere.  Part of the gorilla exhibit is indoors, and you can see them closer than I've ever seen them.  We probably stayed in this area for 30 minutes or so just watching them go about their daily life.  Scratching.  Lounging.  Pacing.  Chasing.  And getting close to Millie Janalee.  The gorilla really wanted her Cheerios, but she was not interested in sharing.  Ha!




Once we walked through this glassed in area where we could watch the gorillas outside activities, we were led to another glassed in area.  It appeared that a family lived here together.  It was a huge gorilla home with trees to climb, carrots to eat, and lots of things to do.  One gorilla even ran up and banged on the glass where some kids were gathering.  They screamed.  And so did I!

It's hard to see, but there is a gorilla sitting on top of that glass bubble.  And there's Lee getting a closer look!
Lee and Dustin had the best conversations with all the monkeys.
Lee and Dustin posing up close and personal with the "gorillas."
The aquarium is also a big interesting exhibit.  It is very colorful and has so much to take in.  Dustin and Lee are most entertaining to accompany to the zoo!  They say the funniest things and talk for the animals.  At this penguin exhibit, they were giving all the penguins personality and a character from Happy Feet.  Millie Janalee just sat beside them and took it in.  She liked to watch them swim by.  She also liked the bar above her head.  Easily entertained.

Lee, Dustin, and Millie Janalee watching the penguins swim
"Whoa!  Those are huge crabs, Mama!"
Of course we saw lots of other animals during our six hour visit to the Omaha zoo, but nothing was quite as entertaining to these two as the monkeys.  Lee's favorite?  The orangutans!  My favorite?  The gorillas, I think.

Dustin and Lee with the orangutan statue
Sisters
It was a steamy, hot day in Omaha!  The last part of our zoo experience was all outdoors, and Millie Janalee decided she needed to be carried for a little while.  I don't blame her!  Have you ever sat in a stroller with no breeze on such a hot day?  Needless to say, I was soaking wet and walked through every sprinkler fan I saw!  I had fun and took it all in.  I got a little sunburned, and I have no idea how Millie Janalee escaped it. 

Mama and Millie Janalee in front of the rhino
When we left the zoo, Dustin walked Millie Janalee and me over to where Rosenblatt stadium used to be.  Dustin and his friends came to the College World Series in 2007 at Rosenblatt.  The College World Series used to be played at Rosenblatt.  Now, the zoo owns it and has turned much of it into parking.  However, they did keep the original home plate and have a great "memorial" for this little piece of baseball history.  We watched as some Bulldog kids ran the bases with their parents videoing.  Dustin threw out a few pitches from the pitcher's mound, and Millie Janalee and I had a pep talk in the dugout. 

Strike!
Mama and Millie Janalee in the dugout
Millie Janalee's first trip to Rosenblatt


Kristin and Lee cooled the car down and drove over to pick us up.  Mama and Daddy had spent the afternoon walking around the Old Market area.  We all met up at the hotel for a change of dry clothes before driving over to the Old Market area for dinner.  We ate at a little restaurant/bar along the way and spent the rest of the evening strolling around.  It's such a cute area!

Pawpaw and Millie Janalee found some horses
Pawpaw and Millie Janalee watching the sidewalk musicians and spectators dancing
I found some cute shops to explore too!  I don't know how your family shops on vacation, but we do it like this - we all go in.  We all come out at different times.  By the time the last shopper leaves the store, the rest of us are sitting around outside the door.  Ha!

Kristin and Lee waiting patiently
I found the cutest little toy store!  Of course, I picked up a little birthday happy for Millie Janalee.  I could've bought so much more!  They had such unique and fun things!  I took a card, and I found out they have an online store!  Yay!


Thursday morning, we woke up for breakfast downstairs and an early departure.  Ready for our 12 hour drive home!  Add in stops for Auntie Kristin's thimble-like bladder and Millie Janalee's diaper changes and eight different tummies to keep full...and a screaming baby toward the end...and you have yourself a 15 hour road trip.

"Let's go home, people!"
Yes, the road to Omaha is loooonnng.  But the road FROM Omaha is much much longer.
post signature

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks like y'all had a fun day! :)