The Road to Omaha

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Well.

I suppose I have recovered enough to compose a few blog posts on our comings and goings over the last couple of weeks.  I apologize for being MIA.  Things get busy with trips and packing and unpacking and laundry and playtime and all that good stuff.  We are now home.  At least for a day or two, and I have uploaded all the photos from our adventures.  I'm ready.

It all began with a ballgame.  Not just any game.  The College World Series game.  Those of us still in Mississippi continued to grow more and more jealous of Dustin and my dad as they enjoyed the CWS from the stadium.  Russ ventured on to Chicago with some fellow residents for work, while Millie Janalee and I decided to watch the big game with Kristin, Lee, and Mama.  By "big game" I mean the game against Oregon State.  A win would assure us a spot in the CWS FINALS!  A first in Mississippi State school history.

It was history in the making, y'all!

So, it shouldn't surprise you too bad to know that when the game ended with a nail-biting 5-4 win we jumped to begin making our plans for Omaha.  To our surprise, Mama had already ordered eight tickets for the finals in good faith that our team would be there.  This helps us to understand her frantic pacing throughout the game.  Ha!

A little father/daughter "fear the beard" action
So within 24 hours, our car load was on the road to Omaha!  Kristin, Lee, Millie Janalee, and I decided to travel to Columbia, MO and spend the night....breaking the 743 miles into two days.  Daddy and Dustin would fly home so that Daddy could preach on Sunday, and they would turn right around with Mama and drive to Omaha Sunday afternoon.  To pass the time, we spent the 12+ hours on the road buried in group family text messages that included pictures of all family members sporting beards preparing to "fear the beards."  If you don't know what that means, please pause for a moment and visit this site to see the origin of our College World Series motto.  I also spent a good bit of my time finishing the fabulous Sophie Hudson's (Boomama) book, A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet.  A definite must-read, people!


After a long night of rowdy hotel guests in Columbia, MO (Kristin and I may or may not have called hotel management at 1 am demanding my 11 month old did not wake to partying looney tunes), we loaded the car for the final leg of our road to Omaha!  Excitement built when we passed the stadium as we made our way to the hotel.  Did I mention that my mom found fantastic hotel rooms?  Right across the street from TD Ameritrade Stadium!


After unloading and freshening up, we took to the streets!  It was a Sunday in between gamedays, so the crowd was minimal.  It worked out great for us, because we didn't have to fight the crowd with our big stroller.  We enjoyed the summery HOT day and took it all in. 

Kristin, Lee, Millie Janalee, and me
Kristin and Lee in front of the CWS bracket
Ready to show Millie Janalee a little history!
There was nothing but maroon covering Omaha!  The stores and tents sold maroon and white shirts, hats, and more.  Every once in a while we would see a store with a little corner of UCLA blue and yellow.  It was obvious that Omaha was expecting Mississippi State fans to show up!  And we did.  Walking the streets of Omaha was much like walking the streets in Mississippi.  A smile, nod, or "Go Dawgs!" was exchanged as we passed maroon after maroon.  We made a stop by the stadium to check it out. 

Millie Janalee and me
Kristin and Lee

We decided to drive over to the Old Market area (I think that's what it's called.) for dinner.  It was such a delightful area!  The streets were brick/cobblestone.  The atmosphere was wonderfully relaxed.  Restaurant patrons dined outside along wrought iron fences with beautiful flowers adorning the edges.  Quaint and unique shops were in between.  We ate at Spaghetti Works outside, because it looked like a good casual dining area.  Millie Janalee slept through every bit of this.  Strolling on the streets must've been like a massage chair as we strolled over the brick/cobblestone.  Ha!  After dinner, we strolled over to a neat looking ice cream shop.  As we got in line (which was so long we were standing outside!) several baseball players came out the back door. 

You know I couldn't let this opportunity go by without a picture, right?!  Thankfully, Millie Janalee was stirring a bit, because I grabbed her up for the picture.  We can sleep later!  Ha!  The players were so kind, and posed with several other fans after we finished.  My trip was nearly complete.  The only thing left was a win!


Yes.  The road to Omaha was long!  But worth every mile so far.
post signature

1 comment:

Erin said...

I have a feeling I'm going to say this many times on your blog for the next few posts.

SUPER JEALOUS. I will forever regret not going. At least I can say I knew a TON of people there.

But to meet some of the players? WOW. That's like celebrity status. I'm excited when one of them replies or favorites my tweet to them.