This past weekend, our hometown was hit by a horrible storm that caused some major flooding. Dude did NOT do well in storms. My parents had to give him an anti-depressant during storms to keep him calm. We think the storm this weekend just did him in. Monday night, Dude couldn't stand on his own...not even with help. The Vet came by to give him a shot. Apparently, this didn't help. The Vet thought Dude's kidneys were shutting down, and my dad was forced to make a very difficult decision. But, below you will see that Daddy did Dude one last favor. I have read this several times today. The first time on my way to work, when I performed the "ugly cry" free of charge. Another time just before I typed this...and I am still crying. I talked to my mom today and just felt heartbroken.
Please take a minute to read Daddy's letter to Dude (taken from his Facebook page). If you are a dog person, you will need Kleenex. Please keep my family in your prayers. It's amazing how these loyal animals become such precious members of our families.
I remember bringing you home. You were so small and cuddly with your tiny paws and soft fur. Never once did you mess up the house or chew your way through my shoes. You never liked to be dirty or wallow in the mud, but loved to chase me through the sprinkler, to play Frisbee and ...football when you were young and strong and noble. What a great receiver you were! To ride in the Jimmy (what eventually became known as “Dude’s car”) was such a joy!
As you got older we felt safe and slept soundly knowing you were protecting us by your presence. When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging just to say, “Welcome home. I missed you.” You never had a bad day, and I could always count on you to be there for me.
When I sat down to watch TV, you would stand by my chair, or lay at my feet looking for attention or just content to be close. You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head or scratch your chin and to sleep with your head over my leg.
As you got older, you moved around more slowly. You would bark from the bedroom to let me know that you were ready to go to bed and waiting on me to join you.
Then, one day, old age finally took its toll, and you couldn’t stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down and patted you lying there, trying to make you young again. You just looked up at me, as if to say you were old and tired, and that after all these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me for one last favor.
I had told you that you would have to let me know when it was time…and today you did. With tears in my eyes, I drove you one last time to the vet. One last ride in “Dude’s car”.
I sat by your side in the floor with your head on my leg, scratching your chin as we waited for your faithful and compassionate Vet to prepare to release you from your pain.
You lifted your head, tired eyes momentarily wide open, and looked at me as if to say, “Thank you for taking care of me.”
And I thought, “No, thank you for taking care of me.”


10 comments:
You're right, a Kleenex was definitely needed- for me at least, I ugly cried too. The bonds between dogs and humans are something you just can't explain. I'm so sorry to you and your family. Losing a pet is sooo hard.
Love you. Daddy
so sweet! I'm sorry for your loss! I know it's hard. Going to get my kleenex now!
Dogs are so much better at unconditional love than we will ever be, which is one reason it is always SO hard to see them get older and lose their strength. They are so loyal and are definitely put here for a reason. Since I'm pregnant, I needed way more Kleenex than I could find in my house!
I cannot even begin to express how much this breaks my heart. I just blogged about Bella and how I cannot imagine life without her. It's so funny how a furry little creature can bring so much joy to your life. I have had your dad on my mind and actually stuck a card in the mail today letting him know that I'm thinking of him. Dogs are just like people and I cannot imagine his hurt and pain right now. I'm sorry for your family's loss! :)SB
Just "ugly" cried myself! That is so sweet! I'm so sorry for your loss. I never understood people who loved dogs until I got Grover.
Oh my gosh. I don't even have a dog and I am crying! What a special relationship. I can't imagine losing such a loyal member of your family. Losing your dog, especially one that has been in the family for so long, can feel like losing an appendage. I'm crying just thinking about your sweet dad sitting in his recliner without sweet dude to pet beside him. I'm so sorry for your family :(
Sorry for your loss. I should have taken your advice and got a tissue before reading this. My heart goes out to you and your family.
I still miss my little baby - nothing can replace those precious dogs that come in our homes, and sometimes pee everywhere - but we love them anyways! My heart breaks for your family - I am soooo sorry for your loss. My heart is still tender towards my precious pup. Love from Colorado!
Our home is pretty empty these days without Dude! I am so glad we had him to love and for him to love us for the last 14 years. Daddy is the loneliest one of all. I haven't mastered the tail wagging thing when he comes home at the end of a hard day. :-(
Even if I did, he says it wouldn't be the same. The really sad part is, I completely understand that.
Mama
Post a Comment