I just love this time of year! Fresh faces filled with nerves and excitement. Wondering what the year will hold.
Being in my hometown during this time has been especially fun as I watch traditions going on around me that I grew up with. For example, Senior Night.
I also spent some time helping a first year teacher get ready for her first day at the old junior high. It has now been changed to the new middle school, and added a couple of grades there. It was fun being in that old building again seeing some of the teachers that were there when I was there.
So, as all this is going on around me here. My mind travels back to my first "home" as a teacher. My Van Winkle family. The teachers will start work tomorrow. Earlier I told you about me sending my students school supplies and books in the mail. I can't help it! I love it! Well, I also stuck an addressed and stamped envelope in there too. In case they wanted to write back.
One of my part time jobs right now is helping in the preschool department of our home church. It is so fun to watch these little ones come in...some for the first time...to new classrooms. It is also wonderful to see school start the way all my younger grades began. With the Pledge of Allegiance, PRAYER, and BIBLE STORIES. Those were the days! I don't think it was technically allowed during those years, but my teachers did it. It was just what we did. I don't remember the year, but I do know that sometime during my elementary years, the school prayers over the intercom and bible stories in the classroom stopped.
As a teacher, I could not have survived my experiences without prayer! How can any teacher? How can anyone? It reminds me of this email forward I get periodically. I have blogged about this before here. So true...
You want me to go into that room with all those kids,
correct their disruptive behavior,
observe them for signs of abuse,
monitor their dress habits,
censor their T-shirt messages,
and instill in them a love for learning.
You want me to check their backpacks for weapons,
wage war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases,
and raise their sense of self esteem and personal pride!
You want me to teach them patriotism and good citizenship, sportsmanship and fair play,
and how to register to vote, balance a checkbook, and apply for a job.
You want me to check their heads for lice,
recognize signs of antisocial behavior,
and make sure that they all pass the state exams.
You also want me to provide them with an equal education regardless of their handicaps,
and communicate regularly with their parents in English and Spanish by letter, telephone, newsletter, and report card.
You want me to do all this with a piece of chalk, a blackboard, a bulletin board, a few books, a big smile, and a starting salary that qualifies me for food stamps!?
You want me to do all this and then you tell me........ I CAN'T PRAY?
-------------------------------
Although I realize this may be a depressing time for some of you, remember that this day will never come again. It was made especially for you by our Creator! Do not waste it! Say a prayer. Keep Him in your schools. Don't waste this day. Enjoy it! Live it for Him!
Have a wonderful school year!
3 comments:
Thank you for finally blogging!! this is one of the few things i can access at work (without pics...which you know is usually all i look at!) and i'm glad i read it :) miss you big sister. see you this weekend! love you, kristin jayne
Now that I have opened up this comment box, I cannot remember what I wanted to say!
See, I am losing my mind!
Ok, I remember now,
How precious that you have received all of those letters.
Enjoy your time with those preschoolers.
And yes, we all need to pray. All day. Every day!
Post a Comment