Happy Birthday Hughes!

Friday, May 16, 2014

Hughes was due on April 24, however Kristin's doctor decided it was time to put her in a day early.  April 23, we all loaded up with excitement that Wednesday morning to begin what would turn into quite a long day.  Kristin and Lee arrived at the hospital before 6 am to induce labor.  I let Millie Janalee sleep in since I knew she had a big day ahead of her.  Plus I had an idea that it would take awhile before we heard talk of a baby.

Aunt KayKay ("Kah Kaayyyy") had give Millie Janalee a sweet Big Cousin dress for Easter, so she was ready to meet her baby nephew.  She spent the day running around the waiting room making new friends in the "kids corner" and putting on a show for everyone.  The gift shop worker got to know her quite well as she snuck in there to talk to the stuffed animals too many times to count!  You can see her excitement...


Once again, we missed Russ.  He is such a hard worker for our family, and I hate that he misses so many family events.  However...it's easy to do with this family.  We have LOTS of big events at all times.  Ha!  He was missed, and he called to give Kristin a pre-labor pep talk...

Kristin talking to Russ
Our cousin, Clancy, drove the 3 hours from Jackson with her baby girl to join in the excitement of the day.  We were so sad that she had to leave before meeting Hughes, but she was on call the next day in labor and delivery herself.  Selah Grace was such a trooper all day!

Cousins
Twelve hours later (around 6 pm), the doctor decided it was time for Kristin to start pushing.  Mama and I were invited to stay in the delivery room with Kristin and Lee.  You know the expression "three's a crowd"?  Yeah, it was a crowd.  But a FUN crowd for sure!  Now, y'all know I know nothing about birthing babies!  The nurse asked me at some point if I had children.  Of course I said, "Yes, but I've never birthed any!"  I provided my services as photographer.  Mama provided her services as experienced moral support.  And Lee pretty much just did what he was told...which mostly involved holding her hand and passing and holding the cup of water when Kristin needed a sip.

The Mama Dream Team
Since I had absolutely NO IDEA what to expect (besides the information Roan texted me right before we kicked off this party), when the doctor said "Let's start pushing", I grabbed the camera and hung it around my neck and had the video camera ready.  About an hour later, I realized I looked like some ridiculous tourist...and I discretely took off the camera and placed it nicely in a chair in the corner.

This would obviously take a while. 

At 8:18 pm, Hughes Lee made his grand debut into this crazy world!  He joined us with a little bit of drama and a small scare, but he eventually belted out his little cry and pinked up before the nurses brought him to rest on his Mama's chest.

Hughes getting some loving from his Mama
Brand new family of three!
The labor and delivery floor was very busy that night, so the nurses gave us a little extra time with Hughes before taking him back to the nursery.  The family was finally able to come in to meet him around 9:30.  I think it's safe to say he's pretty loved! 


I wasn't quite sure how I would feel watching the birth of my nephew.  I struggled with not being there for Millie Janalee's first moments.  How would I explain this to her one day?  Would she even care?  Taking on the role of 'photographer' made it easier to swallow.  I'm always good at hiding behind the camera. 

I'm thankful to experience Hughes's birth though.  I was there when he took his first breath, when he opened his eyes for the first time, when he made his first sound.  I wasn't there for Millie Janalee's firsts.  I am thankful for the experience, because now I can say with absolute certainty...both are uniquely special and priceless ways to enter a family.  Neither better or more special than the other.  Please know that mean this sincerely with all my heart.  It is true.  I am glad I was there because I could see with my own eyes what Millie Janalee's birthmother went through (although her labor was significantly shorter)...and after bringing this sweet baby into the world, she still had the strength to place her in my arms.  Forever.

Millie Janalee seeing Hughes for the first time
I am thankful for this experience as a mother.  And I am thankful for this experience as a sister.  To support her through a difficult labor with my "calm voice" and wet cloths.  I held my breath in hopes it would help her push.  Ha!  I think we all did.  I was there when she transitioned into motherhood. 

And it was beautiful.

Aunt KayKay has always been one of Millie Janalee's biggest fans.  And now I can try to return the favor.  Millie Janalee will have to learn to share...and we are working on it.  But I'm pretty sure there's enough love to go around!

Millie Janalee seeing Aunt Kay Kay for the first time that day...nearly midnight
They love each other!
We all left before they brought Hughes back into the room that night.  It was after midnight before Kristin and Lee saw him again.  We all drove our separate ways to get some rest.  We arrived at my parents' house near 2 am.  I put Millie Janalee to bed, and my mom crawled in bed with me to scratch my back.  Ummm...she was snoozing after her hand went up and down my back one time.  Ha!  It was a long day!

The next afternoon, Millie Janalee and I joined my mom for another trip to the hospital to visit my sister, Lee, and Hughes.  And for Millie Janalee to meet Hughes for the first time.  She was very curious about this moving "bebbies".  She kept a close eye on him when the nurses took him to his little bed.

"Why is he crying, ma'am?"
And they meet!
"Can we keep him!?"
Later that afternoon, Dustin was able to stop by the hospital to meet his first nephew.  I'm pretty sure Dustin still hasn't held him.  He's not a big fan of fragile babies.  Ha!  He said he'd hold him when he's not so breakable.

Kristin, Hughes, and Dustin
As with everything we do in big groups...we had a baby!  Happy Birthday 'Lil Baby Hughes!
post signature

No comments: