Welcoming the Baby Home...and Adjusting

Friday, May 23, 2014


The morning Kristin and Lee were scheduled to be discharged with Hughes, my mom and I got busy with the preparations of welcoming them home.  Millie Janalee and I got balloons for the mailbox and for the stork we used for Millie Janalee, and Mama got the ribbons ready for the bassinet.  By lunch, we had everything ready.  We ate lunch with my parents and spent some time at the playground while we waited.  They were held up several hours later than we expected.



Eventually, we got word that they were near.  By this time, half my balloons had deflated by the sun I guess.  We told them to drive slowly while I ran to get balloon reinforcements.  Ha!  Pretty soon they were pulling into their driveway with their new family of three.  Millie Janalee couldn't wait to welcome Baby Hughes home.




Ummm...then there was a small problem.  She didn't want anyone to touch the "bebbies."  Ha! You can see in the picture below.  Lee was rocking the carrier, and Millie Janalee pulled his hand away and said, "Noooo!"  Uh oh.   We had some adjusting to work through.



She is so sweet with Hughes.  Very gentle.  And she loves to kiss and hug him.  Maw Maw joined us to meet Hughes for the first time as well.


In case you are wondering what it's like with all the attention that used to be on Millie Janalee shifting to a new baby...

At some point, one of the guys said "Uhhh...is she supposed to be on top of the table?"  Ha!
Millie Janalee has her own "bebbies" to take care of while the adults are loving on Hughes.  She likes to put her "woof" in all of Hughes's baby gear.  I'm seriously waiting on the day when she plops her big self in one of these things.  Hopefully, Hughes won't be sitting in there when she does.


So, we have some adjusting to do.  And we are working on it.  I haven't had a huge amount of time to hold and love on Hughes without Millie Janalee wanting to be held or needing her Mama.  I sneak some time in here and there while she's distracted in another room.  As you can see, Pawpaw's lap has plenty room for everyone.

At least Millie Janalee is gonna make sure he does!


Welcome home Hughes!  We are so happy to have you here.
post signature

1 comment:

maureen said...

So excited for your sister and brother in law, and Baby Hughes is adorable. But sorry to say, Millie Jannalee still holds the title for cutest toddler!! It doesn't help that her smile is so sweet and the clothes you dress her in are too cute for words!