No Autographs Please!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Attention please! I am much too busy with premiers and photo shoots to sign autographs today! Please come back at another time. Thank you.


Well...the only way I know to tell you about my day is to start at the beginning. About a week or so ago, there were visitors in my room (this is nothing new! there are always visitors in our rooms!). Apparently, Junior League of Jackson wanted to make a promotional video showcasing the mini-grant given to Jackson Public Schools. And, guess which class was the lucky one? Yep, Mrs. Johnson's class. Apparently, they were looking for a bright room with lots of light. So, Dr. Bowen directed them to our room. Also, Junior League of Jackson reads with third grade students two days a week, so we are already familiar with many of them. Very exciting, right? Yes, well...I suppose I didn't quite understand the assignment because I was simply picturing a home video camera taping a presentation. The end. Not exactly what happened!

Around 12:30, I took my students to music. When I returned to my room, this is the first thing I saw blocking my doorway!

Yes, this is a professional camera on a CRANE thingy! I promise the crane looked much bigger at the time! This was there along with four major spotlights!

I'm still not quite sure what is going on or what my part would be. But, one of the ladies pointed out that I might need to put a little more lipstick on. I mean, after teaching for 6 hours...I do suppose my lipstick has faded! Ha! So, I panicked and ran to the bathroom with lipstick, gloss, and hairbrush in tow! When I got back to my room, I must have looked a little "pasty" because I was pointed to a MAKE-UP ARTIST! Are you kidding?! I did not know this was a huge production! All I could say was, "OMG!" My poor student teacher didn't know what to think about it all! We were feverishly trying to clean the room some more, but there were spotlights and camera stuff everywhere.

Yes, this was my personal make-up artist! Complete with a white cloth so as not to get my costume dirty! Ha!

The "director" continued with directions as the three lovely ladies presenting the check for $120,000 and I rehearse several times. You see, Junior League of Jackson awarded JPS with a MINI grant (yes, I said mini!) of $120,000!!! They are so awesome! They work so hard with our school, and they truly love our students. Anyway, back to the story! The entire time, I'm trying to look like I know what I'm doing. After all, I don't know these people and I want to look competent! But, it's a little hard when my fellow teachers are walking by, dying out laughing, and GOING TO GET MORE TEACHERS to come back and laugh also! Seriously!? I needed backup or security or something!

So, they arrived to set up at 12:30 and, after rehearsing, at 1:15 they asked that I pick up my kids early. Oh me! So, here I go! After threatening their lives in the hallway if they misbehaved and explaining that we were chosen because we are the "best" in the WHOLE school, I allowed the students to enter the "set." They were starstruck! It as so funny to listen as they gasped and whispered as they walked in. The "director" instructed the students in their parts. They were to cheer and clap when the ladies entered. They were to cheer when instructed during the video also.


Explaining to the students what they should do

Once everyone had their instruction, we were ready to begin. There were many "takes" and "angles" during the production. We all had to act surprised each time. I don't know if you understand this, but I DO NOT act very well! I was dying!

Take One!

Between "takes"
I had to pose like I was reading a book to my students. I was constantly reminded, "Sit up straight. Smile! Get your hair out of your face!"

Take - I don't know - 20 something!

So, anyway, my brush with stardom began today! Mrs. Johnson and her class were stars for whatever kind of video we taped! Ha! It really was fun! The kids were super excited and had the best time! We were all sweating by the time it was over! Seriously, my shirt was wet! I took the class to get water after the taping. Ha! They camera crew left my room only to continue with a couple more sites. It was an eventful afternoon. But, we were happy to do it! Junior League of Jackson does so much with our school alone - I can only imagine what they do for all the schools! They read with students two days a week, give away books to all our students several times a year, and are there for just about any big event at the school. We are so happy to work with such an amazing group of women! Thank you so much, Jr. League!

Oh...and please call my agent if you need my services again! Thanks! Now, I'm going to rest. The life of a celebrity is exhausting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!!!! I wish you could have heard your students when they got back to my room and yelled,"Mrs. Johnson just got $120,000 check and she's not even crying....she's just laughing!!" Of course, I packed up all of my kids and made a merry way down the hall, but the camera crews were not in your room at that time. YEA, JUNIOR LEAGUE, for all you do!! YEA, Mrs. Johnson, you are the BEST!!! (I wish I could be in the third grade again just to be in your room!) No I don't....I mean, I just don't think I want to start that far back with my life! Ha! You are awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that last post was me. Anne Land