Students I Serve

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Friday, I was disturbed by the actions of one of my students. The student wrote a statement exemplifying depression and disturbing behavior on his test paper. After a few minutes of thought, I took up his paper and pulled out his journal. I began writing to him.

Me: "Make a list of all the things you are sad about."

Child: "I Do not no nuding I Do not no har to spelling I Do not no hor to rit and I cant Do my tas and Do not no hor to rend"

Me: "Yes, you do know things! Some grown ups still have trouble spelling. Keep practicing and you will know more and more. We are LEARNING how to write. Be patient, and I will help you. Sometimes people just get nervous about tests and don't do well. That is okay! I already know what you know. You are reading SO much better than when you first came! I am so proud of you!! We will keep working together until you are the best you can be! I am here to help you!! Sincerely, Mrs. Johnson"

Child: "Thack you Mrs. Johnson Sometime mise my Dad But I can not see hem Thack you. I am sowey"

Me: Where is your dad? What makes you miss him?

Child: "he is in Jell Wen I was six he laf. then one Day he had coller me and he sed he is en Jell that wiy I miss hem"

Ignoring all the grammatically incorrect writing, I felt my heart melt. Yes, I knew we had a lot of students with a similar situation. But, a little reminder from time to time is good for me. My school is my mission field. I have students (many students) who have not seen one or both of their parents in years because of similar situations. I need to be aware of that fact, and try to influence them in a way that only God can help me do.

Never take for granted what you have been blessed with! We all have crazy sides to our families. But, always remember how blessed you are.

"Thank you, Lord, for giving me such an awesome opportunity to reach out to these children. Give me wisdom, patience, and Your love as I attempt to mold them into the adults they will become."

2 comments:

Dennis said...

What a extraordinary young woman you have become. I will join you in remembering this student before the throne of God each day. And I will remember you as well as you pour yourself into this struggling soul as well as others in your class and ask God to replenish you daily.

Love you, Daddy

Jordan said...

You sound like an amazing teacher! I hope when my children are in school that they will have amazing teachers that actually take the time to listen to their students.