Saturday in the Park...

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Saturday morning, we woke up to pure beauty outside! Russ went for an 8 mile run Saturday morning, and I just could not wait to get showered and enjoy the day! I know...I should have gone running too! Anyway, he returned around 10, showered, and we headed to Cracker Barrel for a late breakfast. Yummy! As we were getting in the car after breakfast, I was asking Russ what we could do to enjoy this day even more. I was not looking forward to going home and doing laundry and schoolwork. He suggested we go to Vicksburg and check out the Civil War stuff. So, we did. Of course, we stopped by the house to pick up the camera first! Let me note right here that I realize how old we sound having eaten at Cracker Barrel and going to look at Civil War stuff! Russ's sister asked if we were going to stop by the barber shop, get a cup of coffee, and talk politics! Oh well!

So, we spent our Saturday in the Vicksburg National Military Park. You would think, with us both being from a Civil War town, that we would know all about it. But, sadly...no. In fact, we decided our next visit home should include a trip to Shiloh. We enjoyed our time together on such a lovely day!

I could not wait to sit on a canon!

There were more!

Russ certainly took advantage of this photo opportunity! Ha!

Illinois Memorial - There are 47 steps leading up to the door (that's for you, Julie!)...one for each day of the Siege of Vicksburg.

Standing on the front porch of the Illinois Memorial with the Shirley House behind me...this house is the only surviving wartime structure in the park.

Russ coming out of the Memorial - Notice the marble floors, walls, and ceilings all engraved with names from the war.

Russ just thought this was a good photo op!

Every time he headed up a hill, he would nearly fall! I tried to get one with my camera, but I missed.

Memorial honoring the African-Americans from Mississippi who participated in the Vicksburg Campaign.

Russ and me in front of the Mississippi Memorial.

Roan and me in front of the Mississippi Memorial! Ha! She was shopping alone in Memphis while Jimmy took the kids to the zoo. We were discussing fashion, mannequins, and brands all day to ensure she left with the best staple items for the fall! Ha ha!

About halfway through our 16-mile tour, Russ and I were dying for a Route 44 from Sonic. So, as soon as we finished at the park, we found the closest Sonic! Mmmmm! Wonderful Cherry Coke!


One our way home Russ talked me into FINALLY getting a Sam's Club membership. We stopped in before going home. We left Sam's with a 24-pack case of Yoohoo (LOVE it!), case of water, and cases of goodies for my students' treasure chest.

All in all, I would call this a wonderful Saturday in the park!

post signature

4 comments:

Dennis said...

Sounds like a fun and relaxing day! Been there, done that. Love ya'!

Mary Vigil said...

Nice day - Great pictures - I love those weekends with a little "out and about" time - Praying over your future little ones - Much love my friend!

Roan said...

Fun day old-timers!
Thanks for the fashion advice. I am most excited about my trouser jeans that don't need hemming!
I LOVE Route 44 Sonic cokes. I want one right now!
Emailed you late last night.
Have a great day!

Breisch and Angie Stallings said...

That is what Breisch and I should have done. I need to think more about what is around here to enjoy. Thanks for the encouragement