26 Acts of Kindness

Friday, December 21, 2012


I'm sure you are like me.  You saw the news coverage.  You gasped as the wind was knocked out of you.  You sat dumbfounded as images of frantic parents scrolled across the screen.  You watched as the initial reports came in...children killed.  Babies.  20 six- and seven-year olds taken from this world. 6 adults.  You tried to understand, but you couldn't.  Tears filled your eyes as the gravity of it all landed on your heart.  You looked at your own children...young and old...and hugged them a little tighter.  You thanked God for his protection over your own children, and you prayed for comfort, strength, and mercy for the victims' families.  You were silent...unable to find the words to express how we feel.


As I watched the news coverage on December 14 and the following days, my mind went back to my days teaching third and fourth graders.  When I decided to teach, it was because I love children, I loved school, and I love seeing those faces light up when they finally understand it!  I loved (almost) everything about teaching!  I loved my school, and I was proud of my profession.  Your mind never goes to that place.  The place where you are faced with a situation where YOU are the protector.  The only one to help these little ones. 

I remember the day one of our three-year olds let a man in our building.  An 18 year old scared male...armed.  He raced through our hallway until our principal happened upon him and chased him out of the building.  Now, this young man was not in the building to harm us.  He was hiding from the police.  He was being chased after robbing a family of their weapons...or robbing them at gunpoint.  I can't remember the specifics.  I just remember the announcement.  The "code" announcement that tells us there is an intruder in the building.  We have had drills several times before.  To us, it was nothing more than the usual drill.  Children giggling as they huddled in the corner or in the closet.  Teachers covering their windows and locking doors in a routine manner. 

Until we saw police and deputies racing through our hallways and walking around our building with rifles and other weapons.  Texts began coming in to the teachers from loved ones and friends who saw the report on the news.  There was an armed man in or around our building.  At this point, he was hiding in one of our courtyard areas.  (These areas had doors leading to each classroom connected to that courtyard.)  It was at this point that we (the teachers) realized, WE had to calm, direct, and protect these children.  All 20 of them.  The young man was caught, and another weapon was found in the woods behind our school.  I can't remember, but I think there was someone else who was later caught.  We were on lockdown the rest of the day.  Free to continue school...just with all doors (including our classroom doors) locked.  It was a day that caught the attention of the local news, and scrolled across the bottom of large news networks.  It was a scary day.  Our principal was hailed a "hero" for chasing the man out of the building before he could even think up any kind of "hostage" idea out of fear.  Our children were all safe.  Parents raced to pick up their children, and we were left with a handful of students by the time school let out.  We were all thankful for the ending.

Nothing like Newtown, Connecticut.  I couldn't begin to imagine what those children saw, felt, or feared.  I can't imagine the fear and responsibility those teachers and administrators felt.


I didn't blog about it, mainly because I wasn't sure what to say.  I couldn't find the words.  But, now...thanks to a Facebook friend, I can ACT.  I can SHOW honor to these fallen babies and the teachers and administrators.  #26Acts was inspired to spread good in the world after such a tragedy.  People across the country are coming together to honor those 26 victims by doing random acts of kindness.  One act of kindness for each life lost.  These acts can be as simple or as involved as you like.  Millie Janalee joined me this afternoon as we began our 26 Acts of Kindness.

Quarters left at the vacuum pump in honor of Charlotte.
Unused newborn formula taken to the local crisis pregnancy center in honor of Daniel.
A Christmas "happy" to one random Target shopper in honor of Rachel.
Chik-fil-A gift card to the pharmacy drive thru worker in honor of Olivia.
Last minute gift wrapping supplies left at my neighbor's door in honor of Josephine.
If I can brave this in the freezing cold with a five month old, maybe you can too!  If all of us do just ONE random act of kindness in honor of these victims, just think of what we could do.  Encourage others to pass it on!  I've had lots of people asking where I got the cards from.  The link is here, the blog post I read to get started.  I've got several ready to go tomorrow...free RedBox rental code, baby wipes at a random changing station, $5 Walgreens gift card, and more.


Let your children lead the way, give ideas, and join you as you show kindness to others along your path.  If you are traveling to celebrate with family, show kindness along the trip!  What a wonderful way to spread good and light in a dark world!  Be creative!  And share your best ideas with me, because I'm racking my brain trying to think of some more.  Ha!


"Be ye doers of the Word and not hearers only.  For ye are blessed in the doing!"

ACT now...once or 26 times!  Honor these precious lives by showing goodness.
post signature

2 comments:

rachel said...

Color me inspired! Doing it!

Kim said...

Love, love, love this. My four kiddos and I will be doing this over our Christmas break. Enjoy your first sweet Christmas with your beautiful girl.