Smokey Mountain Christmas

Friday, December 14, 2012

Monday was a rainy day in the mountains, so we opted for a fun ice skating outing.  We drove up to Ober Gatlinburg, and it appeared we were one of very few tourists that day!  What a treat!  We basically had the whole ice skating rink to ourselves minus a few amateur children hanging onto the rail.  Ha!  Well...Sheila and I hung on to that rail a little to.  I guess I need to be honest here.


My mom offered to keep Millie Janalee at the cafe overlooking the rink so Russ and I could have a romantic rendezvous on the ice.  Ha!  Most of our skating time was spent watching Russ fly around the rink showing off his turns and stops all while laughing at my skating form.  He was kind enough to lead me around by the hand...the only way I was well-balanced.


Meanwhile, Dustin and Sheila took center rink with their turns and twirls!  This was the best picture I got of that from my iPhone, and Dustin says Sheila looks like an elf here.  Oops!  Sorry.  Ha! 


The final count of the entire skating experience...everyone fell at least once.  Except Russ of course! Let's just say the ice is hard.  And cold.  There was one injury that resulted in blood splattered on the ice and a bandage.  All is well that ends well.  That makes one fall for us all since Mama's tumble down the mountain the day before...major event!  Oh yeah.  Russ hasn't fallen yet.  I think I'll trip him tomorrow when we load the car to head home.

Sheila and Dustin
Me and my love
After our fill of ice skating, we loaded up and headed into Pigeon Forge.  Apple Barn is another stop we must make before leaving.  We enjoyed our share of tasting and shopping.  Susu and Millie Janalee were in the Christmas spirit!

Susu and Millie Janalee
Our evening involved one of our favorite events when we come to the mountains.  Dixie Stampede!  If you've never been, please take my advice and GO!  It's always a fun show...no matter how many times you've seen it.  The food - OH. MY!  Delicious!  A whole chicken, corn on the cob, one of a kind creamy vegetable soup, pork tenderloin, potato, cheddar biscuit, and apple pie for dessert!  All eaten by hand!  We couldn't wait to watch Millie Janalee during the show!

And, of course, she must dress the part...


Mama found this adorable crocheted cowgirl hat with pink feather and crocheted cowgirl boots on Etsy.  She gave them to Millie Janalee just in time!  We grabbed the cutest bib we could find to coordinate since this is apparently going to be a staple for her for a while.  My sweet little spit up girl!


She was by far the cutest little cowgirl around!  We turned in our tickets and got in line for our souvenir photo opp.  Dustin and Sheila enjoyed playtime with our cutie patootie while we waited...


Before the actual dinner show, there is a pre-show with banjo, guitar, and bass fiddle.   This show is always SO fun!  And we enjoy singing and clapping along as we drink from our souvenir boot mugs.  From the second the show started, Millie Janalee was mesmerized!  Couldn't take her eyes off them!  It was the cutest thing!  She fell asleep before the big show started once we were seated in the arena.  She woke up just as I finished my last bite, and enjoyed watching the rest of the show.  The horses were running around with buggies, wearing Christmas lights, and the crowd was cheering.  She followed the horses all the way around with her little eyes.  Such an observant thing!  We were on the first row.  Like...horses flung dirt up on our table after dinner and the snowfall landed all over us.  Great seats for a great first!

Mama and Millie Janalee at the stables
Keeping with the old country feel of our evening, we dressed Millie Janalee in her granny Christmas pajamas and cap. 

Mama in her kerchief and I in my cap, had just settled down for a long winter's nap.
I mean, really!  What's not to love about a Smokey Mountain Christmas!?
post signature

No comments: