Mountain Christmas Tuesday

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Sadly, Dustin and Sheila had to leave Tuesday.  So we got up super early...8:00 am...for a yummy breakfast at Pancake Pantry.  I say "early" because we slept in every day and moved at our own pace during this mountain vacation.


This was our first cold morning, and it was snowing!  Millie Janalee saw her first snow of the year already...have you?  We bundled her up in her cutest little hat and gloves with thick blankets all around.  Probably a little overkill...but, hey...how often will we have snow?  She seemed pretty cozy as we headed to our favorite downtown Gatlinburg spot.

Helping She She pick out her pancakes.
After a breakfast full of conversation and laughs, we walked around downtown and did a little more shopping.  Some Christmas shopping and some shopping for ourselves.  We enjoyed browsing the art galleries and souvenirs as we strolled through the cold air.


Millie Janalee is a great shopping partner! She just took everything in while she stayed wrapped nice and cozy in her carrier.  Just look at that precious face...


Eventually, Dustin and Sheila decided it was time to travel.  We all took a little break at the cabin and enjoyed a little downtime, and Russ took a quick nap.  After a refreshing rest, we made plans to drive through the Gatlinburg Arts and Crafts Community.  We had a couple of places in mind that we wanted to revisit from our February trip.  Russ was up for it, so we loaded up!


We made a delightful stop at one of the antique stores!  The clerk just loved Millie Janalee, and as we left empty-handed, we thanked him for allowing us to browse.  He said, "Oh, thank you for sharing her with me!"  So sweet!  The world needs more people like that!  A pure delight!

Russ was very into this old truck.  He took a few very fun pictures to edit.
Our final stop was well worth the trip!  Santa's Claus-et was the place.  It is the real Santa working in his real toy shop!  At first, Mama and I left Russ in the car with Millie Janalee.  Then, we saw him.  Walking around with a toy in hand...getting ready to fix it.  The for real Santa!  I immediately ran outside to grab my sweet baby girl.  Russ was so thrilled. [insert sarcasm]  Until he saw him too.  He agreed...it was the real Santa!


I politely asked if he would take a picture with Millie Janalee.  After getting over the initial shock of such a long name, he agreed.  To get Santa real excited about the chance to hold her, Millie Janalee spit up all over his wood floors.  After Russ and I cleaned the floor and our daughter, I cautiously placed her in his lap.  I was praying, at this point, that she kept all spit up inside for now.  And she did!  It was such a sweet time!  She just looked and looked...and laughed a little.


After our photo shoot with Santa, he wanted to know if Millie Janalee had been naughty or nice.  NICE of course!  Santa pulled out his Nice book to write her name in it, and I quickly motioned for Russ to take a picture.

This is the point everything went downhill.

I felt it first.  Warm all over my hands.

I looked.

Yep.  She did it.  She spit up.  A lot.  I quickly pulled her to me hoping to catch it all on me.  And I thought I did.  Until I looked down.  All over the carpet!  Santa looked up and suggests I move to the wood floors so it won't get on the carpet.  Then he looked down.  Too late.  Everything is quite a blur.  I know it involved a sweaty mama, a wet baby, a shocked Santa, and a polite daddy.  I ran outside to shake my hands off until Susu could get there with a cloth.  By the time we got all cleaned up, I decided to go back inside to continue our experience.

This is the part where Russ shows me how Santa gave Millie Janalee an ornament with her name on it and signed by him.  I say, "Aww" just in time for our final showdown.  Yep.  Again!  At this point, I raced out to the car to clean us both off again and sit until Susu finished.  I opened the car door...

...and the car alarm began.  Yes, we have all come to the Santa Claus-et.  And we have come in a blaze of glory.  I sat inside the car...alarm steadily beeping...while Russ frantically finds something to purchase for all our trouble.  Susu and Russ come to the car laughing hysterically as Millie Janalee and I sit there covered in formula from head to toe.

It was quite an event.  As is everything we do.


Millie Janalee wasn't bothered at all!  In fact, she had a ball.  These are the days I want to look back and remember.  These are the days I have waited for!  These are the days...no matter how stressful they may feel at the time...I am thankful to experience.  These are the days of being a mother.  These are the days!
post signature

No comments: