The Card Players' Christmas

Saturday, December 22, 2012

My grandmother's social calendar is MUCH busier than mine ever has been.  She's 86 years old and still making new friends.  She loves people.  She loves being on the GO.  She loves cultivating friendships.  And she loves cards.  Since her health has wained over the last few years, it is more and more difficult for her to go when she wants and shop as much as she wants.  But, she still goes.  Because she has amazing friends.


Mama, Kristin, and I wanted to celebrate her friends and thank them for all they do for Maw Maw.  So, we hosted a Christmas party for all the "card playin' gals" as we call them.  Kristin provided the location...and lots of the food.  She is such a fabulous host and entertainer.  Mama and I flew into town Friday and celebrated my birthday, and Mama frantically tried to get herself together for this party the next day.

Finger foods
Cute strawberry Santa hat brownies
Nutter Butter snowmen
Coffee punch in vintage santa mugs
As the guests arrived, we enjoyed visiting and letting Maw Maw's friends meet Millie Janalee.  Millie Janalee loves a good party!  She was such a socialite.  I'm thinking Maw Maw will have her playing cards with the group pretty soon!  Ha!

Millie Janalee and Auntie Kristin
Mama
It was so fun listening to all the "card playin' gals" talking and joking with each other.  They all enjoyed the food and the company.  We enjoyed seeing their joy as they relished in such wonderful friendships. Mama, Kristin, and I visited with Millie Janalee in the living room to give the ladies some time for their visiting.



Kristin and I were in charge of activities.  Susu and Millie Janalee spent some snuggle time in the living room.  Millie Janalee was way past her feeding time, but she was much more interested in socializing.  She cracks me up!


Our first activity was Christmas Bingo.  Hilarious is all I will say!  We needed a monitor at each table to make sure no one was sneaking a piece over the wrong picture!  Ha! Next up...our "Christmas craft."  Maw Maw is known for making cute bottles filled with lights for a countertop decoration.  So, our Christmas craft was just that.  The ladies all fixed a beautiful Christmas lighted bottle with fun decorative touches.


The ladies were so fun stuffing those lights through the pre-cut hole.  We had some very tired fingers.  Worst case scenerio happened.  A couple of times.  The lights were inside the bottle when we plugged it in for viewing.  That's when we realized some of the strands weren't working.  Awesome.  Ha!  Thankfully, we had an extra strand...and replaced a bulb in a few places.  All was calm by the end of craft time.


We had the most fun listening to them make fun of each other's creations.  They kid with each other, laugh at each other, and enjoy each other.  Such a joy to watch these friends interact!


They fuss and giggle in the same breath.  Accuse each other of stealing ribbon and help each other.  It's just like a group of school age friends.  Just like a group of college friends.  Just like a group of cherished friends.  That's what they are...cherished friends who have no limits to what they will do for each other.


When I'm 86 years old, I pray that I'm a "card playin' gal" who enjoys social outings, pushing wheelchairs, and staying out til midnight.  I pray that I will have friendships like these.  I pray that all these friends will be half as FUN as these ladies are!


I truly believe women are made for relationships.  Now that I'm a mother to my sweet daughter, I pray for strong, Christian friendships for her.  I pray for friends that stick up for her, stand up for her, and challenge her.  I pray for friendships that know how to ENJOY life and have FUN!


I pray that as she watches me with my friends, she sees what safe friendships look like.  That she sees my loyalty, my encouragement, my kindness, my honesty, and my enjoyment.


I pray that she cultivates these friendships early in life and continues to grow as person because of them.  I pray that she not only have friends...but, I pray that she IS a friend.  I hope she learns from the older ladies in her life how to BE a good friend to others.


So far, she's learning from the best.  Maw Maw sure knows how to make friends.  She knows how to BE a friend.  And, in return, she has great friendships that last through the tough times...and laugh through the best times!


Friendships and fun have no age limit!
post signature

1 comment:

Renea said...

Thank y'all for such a wonderful afternoon filled with laughter, fun, food & fellowship! I so enjoy playing cards with these wonderful friends and your MawMaw! I count it a privilege to be inducted into this precious circle of friends! They are special to me!